A mutually rewarding experience.
Work. Realize your ambitions. And realize there’s more to being in business than just making a profit. That’s the Mars philosophy. And the opportunity we offer every one of our Associates. An opportunity to take what you do and make it mean more for you, for those around you and for the planet. What you get here is challenging, interesting work. You get the tools you need to do a great job and you get to have the best possible people on your side to help you do it. And at the same time as getting to find ways to do business better today than we did it yesterday and driving a great career, you also get to build a more enlightened business and drive sustainability.
Because it’s never just about a single person, a single project or a single brand. It’s about how you can grab everything that’s within your reach here and use it to pursue mutual, long-term gain. It’s about having ideas. And ideals. Being prepared to risk failure because the promise of success means we’ll all be a little better off. It’s that mix of integrity and ambition that makes Mars such a special place to work. And why working here is always about more than just a job.
About Mars, Incorporated
Mars is a family-owned business with more than a century of history making diverse products and offering services for people and the pets people love. With almost $35 billion in sales, the company is a global business that produces some of the world’s best-loved brands: M&M’s®, SNICKERS®, TWIX®, MILKY WAY®, DOVE®, PEDIGREE®, ROYAL CANIN®, WHISKAS®, EXTRA®, ORBIT®, 5™, SKITTLES®, UNCLE BEN’S®, MARS DRINKS and COCOAVIA®. Mars also provides veterinary health services that include BANFIELD® Pet Hospitals, Blue Pearl®, VCA® and Pet Partners™. Headquartered in McLean, VA, Mars operates in more than 80 countries. The Mars Five Principles – Quality, Responsibility, Mutuality, Efficiency and Freedom – inspire its more than 100,000 Associates to create value for all its partners and deliver growth they are proud of every day.
World’s Sweetest Internship: Mars Wrigley Confectionery Connoisseur in Chicago, IL
Mars Wrigley Confectionery, the world’s largest maker of chocolate, chewing gum, mints and fruity confections, seeks an intrinsic tastemaker, skilled communicator and candy lover to serve as its Confectionery Connoisseur (i.e. Intern – Chocolate and Candy!) joining the ranks of the company’s 34,000 talented Associates. This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to become a confectionery expert and share your learnings with the world.
Working at the Mars Wrigley Confectionery Global Innovation Center in Chicago (Goose Island), you will hone your candy acumen, visiting nearby manufacturing sites to see how our products are made and sampling a wide spectrum of chocolate, gum and confections – including flavors that haven’t yet reached the public and brand varieties that are offered in 140 countries around the world.
You will be responsible for infusing brand communications, owned social channels and media relations efforts with the flavor and fun you’ll experience. The ideal candidate should have a strong interest in “treating yourself,” be open to exploring new and interesting flavor combinations and know his or her way around the candy aisle. To sweeten the deal, the Confectionery Connoisseur internship is an 8-12 week, fully paid opportunity, with a signing bonus of a one year’s worth of candy.
- Taste and develop a deep appreciation for chocolate, gum, mint and confectionery products from around the world
- Travel to Mars Wrigley Confectionery manufacturing sites to understand and document how the world’s most beloved candy brands are made
- Produce a personalized batch of chewing gum in our pilot plant and experience mouth-wateringly delicious flavor combinations from our product labs
- Interview business leaders across R&D, Marketing, Sustainability, Regulatory, Sales and Manufacturing to learn about the complex and exciting Confectionery category
- Develop a suite of multi-media assets and creative visual fact sheets for Mars Wrigley Confectionery’s most popular global brands, including M&M’S®, SKITTLES®, ORBIT®, DOVE® and SNICKERS®
- Elevate recognition of the Mars Wrigley Confectionery AdvanceMint™ program designed to help improve the lives and livelihoods of mint farmers across the world
- Infuse flavorful fun into social media strategy content development and deployment; capturing this sweet job and all its learnings on social media
- Lead ideation and planning for Chicago-based Mars Volunteer Program events
- Support the global Mars Wrigley Corporate Affairs team on global corporate and brand media relations campaigns, including planning, research, execution and measurement in collaboration with some of the world’s leading Communications and Creative agencies
- High school graduate or equivalent; college degree preferred
- 21+ years of age (but possesses the mindset of a kid in a candy shop)
- Strong writing and communication skills across a range of technical audiences
- Experience in journalism and/or creative content development
- Active and knowledgeable across social media platforms
- Photo/video editing and production skills
- Interest and ability to travel to Mars Wrigley Confectionery offices, manufacturing sites and media events
- Well-developed organizational skills to manage multiple projects and priorities at once
- Successful Completion of a drug and background screen
- Ideal candidate should be able to:
- Distinguish all five fruity flavors from the Skittles rainbow in a blind taste-test
- Demonstrate the will power to write about and photograph candy without eating it before the work is complete
- Blow bubbles with chewing gum that are greater than 5” in diameter
- Be a strong entrepreneur and self-starter, preferably someone who isn’t afraid to ring every doorbell in every neighborhood on Halloween
In your application, showcase why you should have the #WorldsSweetestInternship.
Applicants will be asked to share a creative and social media portfolio during the interview process.
Mars is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process because of a disability, it is available upon request. The company is pleased to provide such assistance, and no applicant will be penalized as a result of such a request.