About Ghent University
Ghent University is a world of its own. Employing more than 8,000 people, it is actively involved in education and research, management and administration, and technical and social services on a daily basis. It is one of the largest, most exciting employers in the area and offers great career opportunities. With each of its 11 faculties and more than 100 departments offering state-of-the-art study programmes that are grounded in research in a wide range of academic fields, Ghent University is a logical choice for its employees as well as its students.
For the Department of Plant Biotechnology and Bioinformatics (faculty of Sciences) we are recruiting a full-time Cloud software developer within the ELIXIR framework. This is a function in staff category A, with a salary in accordance with the UGent salary scales 7.1 to 9.2.
ELIXIR is the European life-sciences infrastructure for biological information. ELIXIR brings together bioinformatic tools, resources and experts into a distributed infrastructure that enables researchers across Europe to share and analyze their life-science research data. This project is in close collaboration with international partners involved in ELIXIR and aligned with initiatives in life-sciences in the context of FAIR data and the European Open Science Cloud.
The PLAZA platform for comparative, evolutionary, and functional genomics is a data resource that integrates gene and genome information (https://bioinformatics.psb.ugent.be/plaza). It offers a wide variety of tools to end-users through a web interface, in order to help speed up both small-scale and large-scale data analyses. Multiple independent instances of the platform exist, where each instance either focuses on a different phylogenetic clade, or uses improved gene annotations and genome assemblies compared to previous instances. In order to scale up the building of these instances, we are looking for a software developer to help with moving the PLAZA platform to cloud-based systems.
- You are responsible for the design and implementation of the necessary tool-chain for building PLAZA instances in the cloud (e.g. OpenStack, Amazon cloud, Azure, etc.).
- You assist with the building of new PLAZA instances, and help with the implementation of unit-tests to check the status and validity of newly build PLAZA instances.
- You implement configuration and administration utilities for end-users, to facilitate building PLAZA instances.
You hold a degree of Master in computer science, bioinformatics, (bio)engineering, biotechnology or an equivalent degree
Work experience is not required
- Hands-on experience with Linux/Unix environments and BASH scripting
- Proficiency in at least one programming language (e.g. Java, Python, …) and one scripting language (e.g. Perl, Python, …)
- Good working knowledge of relational databases and SQL
Desirable but not required
- Experience in working with life-science data
- Experience in working in cloud environments
- Experience with virtualization technologies (e.g. Docker)
- Experience with automated deployment tools (e.g. Puppet, Ansible, etc.)
- Version control experience (e.g. GIT)
- You are fluent in English, Dutch is an asset
- You have good communication skills
- You are willing and able to learn and implement new technologies related to cloud computing development
- You are able to work both independently as well as in a team
- You hold a Master’s degree or equivalent degree and you submit a transcript of your degree (for diplomas awarded outside the European Union, a certificate of equivalence (NARIC) must be submitted) OR you will obtain a Master's degree this academic year and you submit a transcript of your degree at the moment of your employment (for diplomas awarded outside the European Union, a certificate of equivalence (NARIC) must be submitted)
- You apply by the application deadline and you submit all the required documents by the application deadline
The admission requirements need to be fulfilled by the application deadline.
What we offer
We offer a contract of indefinite duration in function class A+ with a salary in accordance with the UGent salary scales 9.1 to 11, determined by your relevant experience at the level of the position.
Remuneration (100% occupancy rate): min. € 21.278,78 – max. € 40.955,09; indexed gross monthly salary (at 170,69%): min. € 3.026,73 – max. € 5.825,52
All Ghent University staff members enjoy a number of benefits, such as a wide range of training and education opportunities, 38 days of paid leave, bicycle commuting reimbursement, ecocheques, etc. A complete overview of all our fringe benefits (in Dutch).
Our selection procedure consists of a cv-screening, an assessment (at Master's level) and a selection interview with a selection committee. We will keep you informed of your application status.
As Ghent University maintains an equal opportunities and diversity policy, everyone is encouraged to apply for this position. If you have a functional impairment, please let us know (+32 9 264 34 36) so we can make the necessary adjustments.
For more information regarding the selection procedure, please contact the Recruitment Office at the following number: +32 9 264 34 36. For more information regarding the job description, please contact Kim De Ruyck at the following number: +32 9 331 36 94.
How to apply
Apply online through the e-recruitment system by July 29th 2019 at 23:59 (Brussels Time) 2019. We do not accept late applications or applications that are not sent through the online system.
Your application must include the following documents:
- your cv
- your application letter
- a transcript of the required degree. If you have a foreign diploma in a language other than our national languages (Dutch, French or German) or English, please add a translation in one of the mentioned languages
- only for diplomas awarded outside the European Union a certificate of equivalence (NARIC) must be submitted