The University of Lausanne is a research and higher education institution composed of seven faculties, here approximately 15,000 students and nearly 5,000 professors, researchers and staff work and study. Ideally situated along the lake of Geneva, near Lausanne city center, its campus brings together over 120 nationalities.
Expected start date in position : September 1, 2019
Contract length : 1 year, renewable 2 x 2 years, maximum 5 years
Activity rate : 100 %
Workplace : University of Lausanne, Dorigny, Internef
The Distributed Object Programming Lab (DOPLab), at the University of Lausanne, is opening a PhD position in computer science, specialization in mobile distributed systems, coupled to an assistant position at 100%.
The DOPLab is part of the Information Systems Institute (ISI) of HEC Lausanne.
Your work will essentially consist of research tasks and teaching tasks.
On the research side, your thesis subject will be related to the modeling and design of mobile distributed systems. The focus will mainly be on ensuring reliability of such systems, on managing trust and web/digital reputation, typically with the goal to protect privacy, and on modeling human mobility using machine learning. Your research methodology will not only rely on mathematical tools, such as discrete mathematics, graph theory, probabilistic modeling, but also on simulation tools and on the design and implementation of distributed algorithms.
On the teaching side, you will be asked to supervise practical exercises in the context of courses provided by the DOPLab at the Bachelor and Master levels, such as object-oriented programming and distributed programming. Besides, you might also have to supervise student projects related to research activities of the lab, more specifically linked to your research subject.
- You just finished a Master in computer science and realize you only just touched the subjects that interest you most?
- You have solid basis in mathematics and in computer science, in particular at the level of operating systems and software architectures?
- You have a great interest in distributed mobile computing systems, both from a theoretical viewpoint and from a practical viewpoint, and you wish to actively participate in their development?
- You have a certain talent not only for devising and implementing technically innovating solutions, but also for explaining them in a pedagogical manner, both orally and in writing?
So join us at the DOPLab for your PhD studies, you won’t regret it!
What the position offers you
Located on a beautiful campus shared with the EPFL, the University of Lausanne offers excellent working conditions, both in terms of its infrastructures and in terms of salary.
For further information:
Contact for further information
Prof. Benoit Garbinato
tel. +41 21 692 34 09
Your application should be sent until June 30, 2019 and consist of:
- an up-to-date curriculum vitae, (max. 2 pages)
- a motivation letter (max. 2 pages),
- a scientific document written by yourself (in English), e.g., your master thesis.
Please, send your full application in Word or PDF.
Only applications through this website will be taken into account.
We thank you for your understanding.
UNIL is committed to promoting gender equality and strongly encourages applications from female candidates.