The University of Lausanne is a higher teaching and research institution composed of seven faculties where approximately 15,000 students and nearly 5,000 collaborators, professors, and researchers work and study. Ideally situated along the lake of Geneva, near Lausanne's city center, its campus brings together over 120 nationalities.
The research group of Prof. Christophe Dessimoz at the department of Computational Biology is recruiting a postdoctoral associate in evolutionary bioinformatics.
For more details, please consult the website of the group: http://lab.dessimoz.org
- Expected start date: 01.11.2018 or to be agreed
- Contract length: 1 year, renewable 2 x 2 years, maximum 5 years
- Activity rate: 100%
- Workplace: University of Lausanne, Génopode building, Quarter UNIL-Sorge, 1015 Lausanne
The ideal candidate will demonstrate enthusiasm for interdisciplinary research, keen to productively interact with evolutionary biologists, genome biologists and computer scientists, and read the corresponding range of scientific literature.
There will also be opportunities to gain teaching experience (e.g. via student project supervision and contribution to undergraduate or graduate teaching).
Working conditions in Lausanne are extremely competitive, and include access to state-of-the-art computing and sequencing facilities. The environment is highly international, and all activities are conducted in English.
- Doctorate degree
- Solid programming experience (min. 3 years) with languages such as Python, C/C++, Java, or R
- High level of motivation
- Ability to collaborate in an interdisciplinary environment
- Excellent spoken and written English proficiency
- Publications in peer-reviewed journals
- Past contribution to open access software packages
- Experience in phylogenetic methods
- Experience in high performance computing
What the position offers you
We offer a nice working place in a multicultural, diversified and dynamic academic environment, opportunities for professional training.
Possibilities of continuous training, a lot of activities and other benefits to discover.
Contact for further information
For further information please contact Prof. Christophe Dessimoz
Deadline : 12.10.2018
Please, send your full application in Word or PDF.
Any application should include: a cover letter describing the research motivation and experience, a curriculum vitae including list of publications, reference to best paper accompanied by a brief supporting statement (approx. 200 words), copy of official PhD certificate and the contact details for 2-3 referees.
Only applications through this website will be taken into account.
We thank you for your understanding.
UNIL is committed to promoting gender equality and strongly encourages applications from female candidates.