The University of Lausanne is a higher teaching and research institution composed of seven faculties where approximately 14,300 students and nearly 3,900 collaborators, professors, and researchers work and study. Ideally situated along the lake of Geneva, near Lausanne's city center, its campus brings together over 120 nationalities.
In the framework of the project “The Rise of the Financial Elite – Access, Integration and Spread of Power”, the Institute of Social Sciences (ISS) of the University of Lausanne is looking for two positions of
PhD Student in social sciences
Expected starting date: 01.09.2018 or to be agreed
Contract length: 1 year, renewable 1 x 3 years, maximum 4 years
Activity rate: 100%
Workplace: University of Lausanne
Gross annual wage : CHF 47’040.- (first year)
100% of working time is dedicated to the research project on financial elites and the writing of a doctoral thesis related to the research project. The project related work consists of: establishment of a data base, web based data collection, data analysis, participation in common publications.
The terms of reference of this position can be found here
In order to complete our team, we are looking for someone with the following skills :
- MA degree in sociology, political science (or an equivalent degree) obtained with very good results;
- good knowledge of quantative methods;
- strong interest for empirical research and scientific writing;
- working languages are English or French.
What the position offers you
- A job in a dynamic and international research environment, between the Life Course and Inequality Research Centre (LINES) and the Observatory of Swiss Elite Research (OBELIS).
- Regular support and exchange, the possibility to attend PhD trainings, integration in an international research network, participation in international conferences.
Contact for further information
Felix Bühlmann – Professeur associé
- Cover letter;
- Academic CV listening the names of three referees;
- Grades obtained during Bachelor and Master studies;
- An excerpt of a personal academic text (for example a chapter of the MA thesis or a term paper);
Only applications through this website will be taken into account. Please send your file in Word ou PDF format.
Deadline : 31st of May 2018
Application interviews will take place on Tuesday 12th of June 2018
UNIL is committed to promoting gender equality and strongly encourages applications from female candidates.