Career Opportunities: Research Technician 80%-100% (14730)
Requisition ID 14730 - Posted 06/17/2019 - Type of position (1) - Area of Activity (1) - Rate of Participation (1) - Faculty / Service (1) - Personnel Category (1)
The University of Lausanne is a research and higher education institution composed of seven faculties, here approximately 15,000 students and nearly 5,000 professors, researchers and staff work and study. Ideally situated along the lake of Geneva, near Lausanne city center, its campus brings together over 120 nationalities.
We are looking for an enthusiastic and skilled Technical Assistant to join the well-established Metabolomics Platform at University of Lausanne.
Metabolomics is a rapidly evolving ‘omic field that aims to provide a comprehensive, qualitative and quantitative characterization of the biochemical composition of a biological sample. A research technician is required to work on sample preparation of complex biological matrices and the application, development and optimization of hyphenated mass spectrometry based approaches (mainly LC-MS) for global-untargeted and targeted analysis in metabolomics. The candidate will also contribute to the maintenance of instrumentation, safe-keeping of samples and curation of records while interacting with the rest of our multidisciplinary team.
Expected start date in position : as soon as possible or to be agreed
Contract length : one-year contrat (with possibility of renewal)
Activity rate : 80% - 100%
Workplace : Lausanne - Bugnon
Metabolomics platform supports the research projects and collaborates mainly with life scientists from the University of Lausanne, the Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research, Lausanne University Hospital (CHUV) and the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Lausanne (EPFL). The candidate should provide technical support for ongoing service and research projects: She/he will have the opportunity to learn about analytical method development and implementation as well as knowledge transfer to others. She/he will have the opportunity to work with diverse sample types provided through collaborations mainly in biomedical and clinical, as well as functional and evolutionary biology research (e.g. brain metabolism, cancer metabolism, aging phenomenon, diverse metabolic diseases).
In your functions, you will have to :
- Apply and optimize protocols for metabolome extraction from different types of biological matrices (biofluids, tissues, cell lines, bacteria cultures) and depending on the analysis approach (untargeted/targeted)
- Contribute to set-up of standardized protocols for sample preparation
- Operating and troubleshooting chromatographic/mass spectrometry equipment
- Carry out sample analyses using the targeted and/or untargeted approach
- Contribute to set-up of standardized LC-MS methods for targeted and untargeted analysis
- Perform metabolite quantification using the existing software solutions (following targeted analysis)
- Perform metabolite identification using the standard metabolite databases and software tools for additional interpretation of complex mass spectra
- Perform data analysis using the existing bioinformatic platform, as well as newly developed and implemented software tools
- Keep an up to date written and electronic record of laboratory work
- Contribute to maintenance of adequate stocks in the laboratory (consumables such as chemicals, gases, disposables)
- Help ensure the functionality of key platform apparatus (service/maintenance) by liaising with the platform staff in a timely manner
- Assume shared responsibility for organizing and implementing routine lab cleaning schedules and procedures
In order to complete our team, we are looking for someone with the following skills :
- BSc in Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry or equivalent in related discipline (i.e. CFC with several years of experience)
- Experience with wet – lab, large-scale sample preparation
- Knowledge and practical experience in working with LC-MS systems
- Team player with enthusiasm to set up new analytical methods at the technology forefront
- Relevant experience in design of LC-MS experiments and data analyses in metabolomics is an advantage but not necessary, strong motivation is essential
- Knowledge and understanding of biochemistry will be considered as an advantage
- Commitment and ability to work together in an international-oriented service and research group
- Flexibility to handle multiple projects in parallel and adjust to changing priorities
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to set and achieve analytical targets in collaboration with colleagues and your line manager
- Very good communication skills in English and/or French (spoken and written)
What the position offers you
We offer a nice working place in a multicultural, diverse and dynamic academic environment. Opportunities for professional training, a lot of activities and other benefits to discover.
Contact for further information
Dr. Julijana Ivanisevic
Head of Metabolomics Platform
Phone number : 0041 21 692 50 98
Hector Gallart Ayala
Phone number : 0041 21 692 54 09
Deadline : 31.07.2019
Please submit your application including a CV, a letter of motivation and contact information of at least two references via the UNIL application service. In the cover letter, detail how your profile fits the service and research activities of the group and your long-term career goals.
Please, send your full application in Word or PDF.
Only applications through this website will be taken into account.
We thank you for your understanding.
UNIL is committed to promoting gender equality and strongly encourages applications from female candidates.