Plan International USA is part of the Plan International Federation, a global organization that works side by side with communities in over 50 developing countries to end the cycle of poverty for children, young people, and their families. Plan works at the community level to develop customized solutions and ensure long-term sustainability. Our solutions are designed up-front to be owned by communities for generations to come and range from clean water and health care programs to education projects and child protection initiatives. For more information visit, www.planusa.org.
Position: Senior Program Communications Specialist
Location: Washington, D.C.
Reports to: Senior Director of Communications
The Senior Program Communications Specialist will be the full-time communications expert who works directly with the International Programs (IP) Team. The position will be responsible for developing effective communications strategies and products, enhancing Plan International USA’s public profile by marketing programs, technical capabilities and thought leadership to institutional donors. , and supporting internal communications. The Program Communications Specialist is primarily responsible for generating content that will tell the Plan story, exemplify the Plan brand, and support Plan’s International Programs marketing initiatives, in addition to collecting and distributing high-value content from Plan projects and technical staff.
The Program Communications Specialist will develop an outreach strategy to raise Plan International USA’s visibility among key audiences with special emphasis on USAID, as well as helping to build the reputation of programmatic experts on staff as thought leaders in the international development community. The position requires a self-starter who proactively identifies issues and opportunities, as well as implements responsibilities. In addition, the Senior Program Communications Specialist will help coordinate Plan’s conference presence, provide basic layout and graphic design, and maintain relations with external vendors and the public. The position will also be responsible for the conceptualization, drafting and editing of written materials including brochures, factsheets, posters, ads, and website content.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- The Senior Program Communications Specialist will work proactively with the International Programs team to develop and execute a proactive marketing and communications plan. The Senior Program Communications Specialist will conceptualize and draft high-quality content (feature articles, news items, project descriptions, marketing fliers, personnel profiles, etc.) for all of Plan’s external communications channels. Provide short-term technical assistance to projects as needed (research, writing, event support, social media support, etc.).
- Proactively identify opportunities to highlight Plan’s work with the United States Government at meetings, conferences, and panels and in development and other publications. Work with International Program staff to identify speaking and/or earned media opportunities. Populate the Editorial Calendar for the Communications team, mapping out strategically important events for incorporation into Plan’s communications activities. Work with the Media Relations team to identify opportunities for earned media and work with the International Programs team to take advantage of those opportunities.
- Collaborate with other Communications staff, including the Web and Social media team to identify, plan and execute strategic campaigns to promote Plan’s technical work and programs. Provides regular reporting to the Communications and International Program teams regarding the effectiveness of communications activities. Works to increase communications key performance indicators, including brand awareness, email open and click-through rates, and event attendance.
- Provides support as needed to the Policy & Advocacy Working Group within Plan for briefing documents, web content, and campaign materials.
- Works with the International Programs team to manage the marketing and communications email list, including providing advice and guidance to the International Programs to team to build and segment lists for maximum impact.
Additional responsibilities may be required as deemed necessary.
- Bachelor’s degree plus four years of work experience, or master’s degree plus two years of work experience.
- Excellent writing and communications skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Proficient in social media.
- Good judgment and ability to handle confidential information appropriately.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities on deadline.
- Ability to travel internationally to work on assignments for Plan projects.
- Knowledge of the international development industry.
Equivalent combinations of experience and education will be considered.
- High level of proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word/Excel/Powerpoint) or other word processing, spreadsheet, or presentation software and experience working in marketing automation systems such as Act-On, Marketo, Constant Contact etc.
- Experience in journalism, technical writing, public relations, or other communications-related field.
- Complementary skills such as graphic design, and storytelling, infographics
- Degree in related field (communications, journalism, media, PR, technical writing).
- Knowledge of the international development industry and community; international work experience desirable.
- Self-starter with experience working across several teams and reporting lines to create and execute communications plans
- Experience working specifically with USAID and its communications channels.
Plan is a child-centered community development organization working with communities in over 50 countries to end the cycle of poverty for children and their families. We invite our staff to embrace Plan’s mission, working in partnership with management, peers, donors, and other supporters in an effort to make lasting change for children and families around the world.
We aspire to five core values that help us define our culture and to inform our business decisions: Accountability, Passion, Integrity, Respect, and Excellence - AsPIRE. Plan expects all staff to exhibit and embrace these values in every part of their work lives.
We are committed to adhering to Plan’s Child Protection Standards and protecting the wellbeing of children in any situation that may arise. The protection of children is everyone’s responsibility.
Plan offers opportunities for growth and development through internal and external training opportunities. We value the ideas and opinions of staff at any level and provide forums in which those can be shared with others.
Plan is an equal opportunity employer and follows all laws associated with the EEOC.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.