Expro Group are currently recruiting for a Firmware engineer on a contract basis to join their Engineering team in Ringwood.
The Ringwood Engineering department requires an experienced firmware engineer to join a small team in support of their goal to deliver projects on-time and within budget. Reporting to the software manager the role will involve working across the full product development life cycle to support development of firmware and hardware components, including creating designs and subsequent integration activities.
- Work in a safe, responsible and cost effective manner, in full compliance with the company’s safety manuals, Quality Assurance System and code of conduct.
- Work with the software team leaders and electronics team leaders to determine scope, planning and scheduling of firmware development and integration tasks.
- Develop design, implementation, and support for the base functionality of both the hardware and firmware in a range of products.
- Contribute to the selection of microprocessors and the physical hardware interfaces in a range of products.
- Manage the production and release of hardware support packages.
- Design and build test and evaluation hardware to support product development.
- Produce accurate and effective design documentation to support the implementation, integration, and test of system components.
- Ensure the development of efficient and accurate software components utilizing coding standards and best practices, to high levels of quality and maintainability in accordance with development methodology and release processes.
- Attend meetings relating to aspects of the business which require engineering contribution.
- Assist in the development and continuous improvement of departmental and company processes and procedures.
Job Knowledge and Qualifications
- A degree in engineering, combined with practical experience of software development, specifically:
- Good knowledge of at least one low level programming language in embedded systems e.g C
- Experience in developing firmware for microcontrollers
- Experience of low level circuit design and assembly
- Knowledge of electronics CAD tools
- Familiarity with one or more of the following; UART/RS485, USB, CAN, Ethernet/TCP/IP.
- Knowledge of software design using UML
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Self-motivated, able to work as part of the development team
- Experience of small volume high value product development