The Human Health Discovery Team within Human Health & Microbiome Innovation is looking for a PhD student with solid lab experience, strong understanding of metabolic diseases, gut microbiota composition and physiology as part of a strategic research and training alliance consisting of both Academic and Industrial partners from all over the world. The main aim of the alliance is to identify microbiome-based biomarkers, prophylactics and therapeutics for Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease (NAFLD). Being 1 out of 15 international PhD students you will, apart from doing experimental lab work, receive general training in Next Generation Sequencing data analysis, microbiome systems biology and clinical trial management. The 15 PhDs and their supervisors will meet on a yearly basis to share knowledge, and during the 3-year PhD period you will spend 6 months at the Academic Medical Center, Amsterdam.
The Human Health Division of Chr. Hansen produces probiotic bacteria to support and improve health. In the Discovery Team we cover the entire value chain from identifying new microbial candidates to performing in vitro screening assays, animal trials and clinical studies. As a PhD student in the Discovery team, you will characterize gut-derived bacteria in terms of safety, in vitro efficacy parameters, metabolite production and test selected strains in in vivo animal models.
Your role and research
- Screen gut bacterial genomes for safety and virulence factors
- Establish and validate in vitro assays
- Plan experiments, screen a wide range of both natural gut bacteria and genetically modified bacteria in various efficacy assays, analyse data, perform statistical testing and communicate results (orally as well as written)
- Run selected bacteria in artificial gut model and analyse microbiota and metabolite composition.
- Run animal trial(s) related to liver health on selected bacteria
Qualifications and competences
The ideal candidate has a master degree in human biology or related areas. It is essential that you have a strong understanding of pathophysiology behind metabolic diseases and knowledge of the human microbiome is an advantage.
To be considered a candidate for this PhD position you need to be eligible for the H2020 Marie Sklodowska Curie programme, which means you need to:
- Be an early stage researcher. At the time of recruitment, you should be in the first four years (full-time equivalent research experience) of your research career and have not yet been awarded a doctoral degree.
- Not have resided or carried out main activities (work, studies etc) in Denmark for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately prior to the recruitment.
- Documented experience with hands-on in vitro lab work (cell cultures, organoids etc)
- Demonstrated in-depth knowledge within metabolic diseases.
- Previous experience with animal trials is favored.
- Prior experience with artificial gut models is an advantage
- Knowledge of statistics is desirable.
- Desire to take on new tasks and learn new methods.
- Ability to work in a team and to engage with a variety of different people.
- Competence in spoken and written English skills is a requirement.
You will join an international team of dedicated and diverse colleagues in Human Health Discovery consisting of a manager, 4 scientists, 2 lab technicians, 1 PostDoc and 2 PhD students.
You will be based in Hørsholm (near Copenhagen) and will report to the Discovery Department Manager.
If you have any questions related to this position, please feel free to contact Senior Scientist Anja Wellejus at e-mail: email@example.com.
The application deadline is March 20, 2019.
Read more about a career at Chr. Hansen here: https://www.chr-hansen.com/en/career
Do you want to help improve food and health around the world?
At Chr. Hansen, food and health is at the heart of everything we do and our natural ingredients are consumed by more than 1 billion people every day. As a global market leader in bioscience, we have the opportunity to address important global challenges such as food waste, healthy living and sustainable agriculture and we need the brightest and most passionate people on board to succeed. Want to join us?
A career with Chr. Hansen
Joining Chr. Hansen is your opportunity to make a meaningful difference while unfolding your career in a global setting. In each of our 32 global offices, you will be able to experience an agile organization that is proud to encourage an inspiring work environment and a collaborative culture full of passion to make a difference.
Our founder, Christian D. A. Hansen, was a true entrepreneur and that mentality is still very present and valued today – as we look for new talent to strengthen our team. We are always looking for people who can take charge, come up with new ideas and form their own work practice and methods.
Engagement matters to us, therefore we offer a work environment where cooperation and respect are the top priorities.