Springer Nature is a major new force in scientific, scholarly, professional and educational publishing. By using its combined expertise, scale and the reach of our brands, the company aims to grow and innovate in order to better serve academic researchers, students, teachers, institutions, professionals and the wider public, by helping them discover more. Springer Nature was created through the combination of Nature Publishing Group, Palgrave Macmillan, Macmillan Education and Springer Science+Business Media in May 2015. This strategic merger brought together these dynamic publishing houses with more than 150 years of history behind them, as well as complementary geographic footprints and brand portfolios, a track record of creativity and innovation, and a shared vision to advance knowledge and learning around the world. The company numbers almost 13,000 staff in over 50 countries and has a turnover of EURO 1.5 billion.
We’re looking for a Senior Software Developer Java/Scala (m/f/d) with several years of experience who will be part of our Author Communication team.
The job is based in Berlin where you will join more than 60 other Software Developers as part of SpringerNature’s digital product development team. You’ll be part of our big community of developers located in Germany, UK and India, to name a few.
Visit sndigital.springernature.com to learn more about who we are and what we do.
Why we need you
We are looking for skilled and passionate Java Software Developers to help us build the best products that will help the scientific community to bring science further.
For this particular role we need a Senior Software Developer who will be part of the team extending and maintaining the services for the communication platform.
You have several years of experience with Software Development.
You have worked successfully with product teams in the past and ideally have some experience with mentoring junior developers.
You like working in a collaborative environment where there is collective ownership of the code.
You work in a Continuous Integration and always strive for Continuous Delivery.
You will join a backend team with different nationalities, backgrounds and experience levels. The team is co-located with a Product Manager in Heidelberg. You will collaborate with all team members in order to deliver the best solutions to maintain and enhance our subscription and communication platform.
What you will be doing
Within 3 Months you will:
- have a detailed understanding of the organization and the processes involved in our day-to-day business
- get familiar with our technology stack based on Java, SpringBoot, NodeJS, Google Cloud Platform and CloudFoundry
- take part in developing new features to the platform as a member of the tech team
- get familiar with (and take part of) the team’s agile processes and ceremonies
- have an understanding of the team’s users in the context of product development
In 3-6 months you will:
- be a supportive member on the development of the platform by using the right technology solutions to solve the problem at hand
- help improve our technology stack
- have an understanding of the team’s context within the publishing business they are working in
- be able to properly understand and discuss business requirements with Stakeholders of Product Owners
- hold technical discussions with the Tech Lead of the project in order to improve the project architecture and code quality
In 6-12 months you will:
- onboard new members in the team or help other teams on the onboarding process
- take part in the recruiting process helping assess applicants
- transform high level requirements into actionable work
- proactively provide useful and actionable feedback to team members
- become an advocate for defining and implementing non-functional requirements
- influence the design of the system architecture
- able to explain and visualize the benefits and trade-offs of proposed solutions
- participate in user research to better understand our users’ needs
Day to day responsibilities:
- As part of an Agile product team, your day to day tasks consist of:
- taking part in daily Stand ups
- taking part of team ceremonies like grooming, planning and retrospective
- develop new features
- Improve code quality by doing pair programming or code reviews
- continuously improve and monitor our product
What we offer:
- A healthy work/life balance
- Interesting and challenging work
- A positive environment
- Enthusiastic, supportive colleagues
- Further development to help you progress your career
- Flexible hours, a 37 hour week and 30 days annual leave
- Book discount of 15-40%
- Discounted public transport
At Springer Nature we value and celebrate the diversity of our people. We recognize the many benefits of a diverse workforce and strive for an inclusive workplace that empowers all our colleagues to thrive. Our search for the best talent fully encompasses and embraces these values and principles.
Which steps can you expect from our application process?
- If your CV looks promising, we’ll contact you for an initial phone interview – that will give you a chance to know some members of our team, set shared expectations and it will help us understand your motivation.
- We’ll then send you a test that you can complete in your own time.
- In-person interview – pair programming will take place, you will get to know your future colleagues, the working environment and Springer Nature’s projects
Limitation: Permanent position
Working Hours: Full-time
Company and Location: Springer Nature GmbH, Berlin
Excited by the prospect of joining us? We are looking forward to your online application in English!
Please upload a CV and cover letter, let us know how did you find us, your salary expectations and current notice period.
To find out more information about our organization please take a look at www.springer.com and www.springernature.com.