Springer Nature is one of the world’s leading global research, educational and professional publishers. It is home to an array of respected and trusted brands and imprints, with more than 170 years of combined history behind them, providing quality content through a range of innovative products and services. Every day, around the globe, our imprints, books, journals and resources reach millions of people, helping researchers and scientists to discover, students to learn and professionals to achieve their goals and ambitions. The company has almost 13,000 staff in over 50 countries.
We publish the world’s most influential journals and our global IT function drives the innovative digital services we offer our customers.
You may think of publishing as somewhat traditional. At Springer Nature we have ambitious plans and our IT group is what will drive our ambitions. We need talented people in every discipline, from Business Analysts and UX Designers to Software Developers and Platform Engineers to name just a few.
What’s it actually like to work with us?
We are a growing, diverse and international team working with a broad range of technologies. You will find small lean and cross functional teams that are leading the innovation at Springer Nature.
In the context of our digital strategies, in Berlin we develop new software and optimise our global platforms (e.g. bookmetrix.com, springernature.com, nature.com, springermedizin.de, palgrave.com).
Together with colleagues in London, Pune and New York we work to ensure that our customers enjoy access to individual content – every day and from anywhere in the world.
Speaking of technologies – are you familiar with the following?
If you aren’t now, you can still get to know:
Cloud Foundry, OpenStack, Chef, Play, Ansible, Spring Boot, Rabbit MQ, Elastic Search, Mongo DB,
What you will be doing:
- Line management of developers which includes: coaching, mentoring, identifying training needs, personal development plans, motivating and managing performance.
- Help to shape the development culture and community by faciliating knowledge sharing, encouraging outreach, arranging conferences or training and other initiatives.
- Advocate for software development best practices within the organisation.
- Communicate vision, goals and strategy of the department to the direct reports.
- Hiring and onboarding engineers together with your local HR team and management
- Listening to team members’ feedback and providing them feedback in 1on1 meetings in order to enable the team to achieve their goals
- A confident servant-leader, who leads by inspiring and influencing others.
- Motivated and passionate about your craft.
- Pragmatic, humble and respectful of others.
- Adaptable, resilient and able to thrive in a constantly changing environment where nothing is perfect.
- An advocate for technical excellence and quality to enable successful delivery.
- Leadership/line management experience
- Proven track record in mentoring and coaching
- Understanding of continuous delivery
- Fluent in at least one programming language
- Able to discuss programming paradigms
- Familiar with agile development techniques
- Understand iterative and incremental software development
- Able to visualize and communicate complex problems
- Solid experience in software engineering and experience of line management
- Previous experience of working in an agile environment
- Have been a developer on an agile team in the past
- Have worked in a collaborative cross discipline team
So what do we offer?
- A healthy work/life balance
- Interesting and challenging work
- A positive environment
- Enthusiastic, supportive colleagues
- Further development to help you progress your career
- 30 days annual leave
- Book discount of 15-40%
Working Hours: Full-time
Company and Location: Springer Science + Business Media Deutschland GmbH, Berlin
Excited by the prospect of joining us? We are looking forward to your online application in English!
To find out more information about our organization please take a look at www.springer.com and springernature.com.