Nature Research is a flagship portfolio of journals, products and services including Nature and the Nature-branded journals, dedicated to serving the scientific community.
Nature, the world’s most authoritative science journal, seeks an experienced, highly-motivated journalist to contribute to our award-winning coverage of scientific research and policy.
You will specialize in reporting and writing about the discoveries, trends and controversies in science in the Asia-Pacific region, with a particular focus on China. You will be skilled at breaking news and hunting down exclusive stories that matter to our audience of working scientists; you’ll also be able to turn around fast, accurate breaking news stories; and dive into a feature or investigation. Your articles will be sophisticated, accurate and high-impact.
Your beat will be broad; you will be expected to cover all aspects of scientific discovery, policy and community. You will also think of stories in terms of data and images, not just words. We will use your stories in print and online. You will also contribute regularly to the Nature Briefing, a daily digest of thought-leading content.
You will be part of a small, highly-collaborative, global team of science journalists that produces authoritative, accurate and thought-provoking journalism and invests time in editing, sub-editing and fact-checking.
This position can be based in Shanghai or Sydney and will report to the Asia-Pacific News Bureau Chief in Sydney.
Experience, skills and qualifications:
- Ability to identify and generate news and features stories of interest to Nature’s readers;
- Ability to write accurately and with flair about complex topics to tight deadlines;
- Enthusiasm for, and basic fluency in, multiple science topics;
- Understanding of the science community, science policy and research landscape in Asia-Pacific;
- Good time management and organization; ability to work to strict short and long term schedules and tight, relentless deadlines; ability to react quickly to breaking news;
- Good interpersonal skills and ease working with colleagues;
- Command of journalistic values and basic knowledge/awareness of media law.
- Ability to use reporting and publishing tools including content management systems;
- University degree in a relevant subject, or equivalent professional experience.
- Proven science journalism experience; 3 years minimum.
- Experience reporting on China
- Newsroom experience, preferably in a fast-paced environment;
- Experience with social media platforms and/or digital newsletters to promote and enhance content
- Chinese and/or other Asian language skills
To apply, please submit 3-5 published clips of news or feature stories (full text, please), a resume and a brief cover letter laying out your vision for this beat and why you are qualified. Please specify topics and approaches that you would pursue, and why.