Springer Nature is one of the world’s leading global research, educational and professional publishers. It is home to an array of respected and trusted brands and imprints, with more than 170 years of combined history behind them, providing quality content through a range of innovative products and services. Every day, around the globe, our imprints, books, journals and resources reach millions of people, helping researchers and scientists to discover, students to learn and professionals to achieve their goals and ambitions. The company has almost 13,000 staff in over 50 countries.
We’re looking for a UX Designer to join our global UX team at Springer Nature, to work on the Content Acquisition Domain. The job is based in Kings Cross, London and you’ll work with colleagues in Berlin, Dordrecht, and Pune (India), so expect some travel.
Visit sndigital.springernature.com to learn more about who we are and what we do.
Peer review is the backbone of the scientific process; without it, it’s impossible to understand which research matters. However, the existing legacy systems that shepherd scientific manuscripts to journals and through editors and reviewers are no longer fit for purpose. Manuscripts take too long to go through the process, and researchers worry about their work being scooped before it’s published.
To address this problem, Springer Nature is developing a brand new submissions and peer review system, starting with high-volume open-access journals. We’re developing this system in a truly agile fashion, working closely with business stakeholders to validate every feature we build. While we’re initially focusing on replacing legacy systems, we are also looking at innovative ways of capturing, understanding, and sharing data.
You’ll join a team that is working to replace legacy publishing tools and products with new solutions built in house, and work collaboratively with your team and other designers, including a senior designer who will support you in your work.
You will be responsible for ensuring the user experience is consistent and user focused across complex publishing workflows, for our world famous journals.You will need to develop a good understanding of the products and the peer review process to advocate for our users and their needs. You will be using a lean approach to design solutions that meet both business requirements and support users mental models and their workflows. You can expect to work with the User Research Lead and team to conduct user research and testing in order to discover requirements of stakeholders and users.
What you’ll be doing
Within 3 months
- Immerse yourself in the world of professional research and the business domain to understand the programme of work - proactively gathering knowledge and insight from your team and peers
- Understand our business’ and user’s goals, and key areas to explore and investigate
- Gain a good understanding of the complex workflows and any research done to date.
- Establish and develop good relationships with your product team, key stakeholders and the wider UXD practice - make lots of new friends!
- Understand the team’s delivery process and work collaboratively with other team members to ensure your design process supports an efficient and lean delivery.
- Create conceptual, interface designs and prototypes, supporting design decisions with outcomes from user research and testing. Collaborate with developers to realise these designs.
- Work with the Digital Brand Designer in Content Acquisition to ensure our solutions are brand-appropriate.
Within 6 months
- Review the product, constantly looking for potential improvements to the user journey, information architecture and interaction. Plan research to explore and validate these when necessary.
- Involve members of the team as much as possible in the user research and testing process, inviting them to research sessions and, when appropriate, involving them in analysis of findings. Aim to constantly improve the customer-centric mindset in the team through your work and visible outcomes.
- Make your design process as transparent and clear as possible to the team and start involving them when possible or appropriate.
- Ensure your work is shared and visible and socialised, not only within your product team but also for other teams in the Content Acquisition domain and the Global UXD team.
- Work with Senior UX Designer, Product Owner and team to understand and input to new requirements, always trying to frame the discussion around “what customer problem are we trying to solve?”.
Within 12 months
- Identify key growth points, and develop a strategy for the future of the
- Have developed strong working relationships with key stakeholders across the project, utilizing those relationships to improve team communication and discover new avenues for enhancing the product
- Influence and input into the vision of how researchers, primary investigators and academics get their work published in the future
You’ll be an essential part of daily product development, taking active part from your first day. The team delivers iteratively, and you’ll make sure solutions are validated post-launch.
- Work with your product owner, business analysts and developers and other team members to build solutions to user needs iteratively and quickly
- Participate in daily stand-ups with your development team
- Collaboratively design, test, and develop solutions with your team
- Have daily conversations with your product owner, business analysts and business contacts and work with them to design and run collaborative workshops with our stakeholders, customers, and users
- Define and validate hypotheses about what is valuable to our users
- Design products that are reliable and feel lightweight and ensure that users can still achieve their goals quickly and easily.
User Research responsibilities
You will be directly responsible for research throughout the life cycle of the project. Our Research lead will support you in designing and establishing a research programme to validate design decisions instead of designing through assumption.
- Develop a research plan. You’ll do this in conjunction with your leads (UX, Research), business analysts and product owner to explore, understand and make sense of the domain
- Work with our Research lead to create and keep updated a panel of users
- Recruit, organise, plan, and run workshops, studies and research activities
- Share findings within the project, programme, and design team
- Get the team involved in research activities where feasible
To apply please upload a copy of your CV and covering letter, stating your salary expectations.
At Springer Nature we value and celebrate the diversity of our people. We recognise the many benefits of a diverse workforce and strive for an inclusive workplace that empowers all our colleagues to thrive. Our search for the best talent fully encompasses and embraces these values and principles.