Springer Nature is a major new force in scientific, scholarly, professional and educational publishing. By using its combined expertise, scale and the reach of our brands, the company aims to grow and innovate in order to better serve academic researchers, students, teachers, institutions, professionals and the wider public, by helping them discover more. Springer Nature was created through the combination of Nature Publishing Group, Palgrave Macmillan, Macmillan Education and Springer Science+Business Media in May 2015. This strategic merger brought together these dynamic publishing houses with more than 150 years of history behind them, as well as complementary geographic footprints and brand portfolios, a track record of creativity and innovation, and a shared vision to advance knowledge and learning around the world. The company numbers almost 13,000 staff in over 50 countries and has a turnover of EURO 1.5 billion.
Are you looking for exciting IT challenges at an academic publisher?
We publish the world’s most influential journals and our global IT function drives the innovative digital services we offer our customers.
In the context of our digital strategies, in Berlin we develop new software and optimise our global platforms (e.g. Springer.com, Apress.com, Palgrave.com eCommerce, springernature.com springerprofessional.de, medwirenews.com, springermedizin.de, kardiologie.org). Together with colleagues in London, Pune and New York we work to ensure that our customers enjoy access to individual content – every single day and from anywhere in the world. Our working philosophy is agile and highly motivated embedded in a vital and dynamic publishing group.
The two sides of your job: between daily thrills and a healthy work-life balance
You’ll contribute to challenging but successful projects, while keeping the needs and interests of the user at the heart of your considerations. You’ll use cutting-edge technology to build applications that simply blow our customers away. And nevertheless, at the end of the day you’ll be home in time for dinner!
These three Key Practices shape our actions:
- Agile promise: We roll out high-quality services in brief intervals and constantly work to improve our processes and ourselves
- Collective code ownership: Every team member is welcome to and expected to participate – and that includes decision-making processes
- We actively practice shared responsibility for every link of the tool chain for infrastructure, software quality, delivery and operations. Each of our passionate developers has the opportunity to familiarise themselves with and improve every aspect of our system
What you will be doing:
Are you motivated and a “Cloud Native”? Then you could play the lead role in our team and...
- Develop innovative Cloud Native web applications in Java and Scala,
- Assume responsibility for the entire lifecycle of the web applications you build,
- Make the active, ongoing further development of our platforms one of your priorities.
- Fluency in Java and English - Scala is a plus
- Previous experience working in an agile software development team
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to communicate and collaborate effectively with a wide range of international colleagues
- A team player, not a Ninja
- Always learning, not afraid to fail
What we offer:
- A healthy work/life balance
- Interesting and challenging work
- A positive environment
- Enthusiastic, supportive colleagues
- Further development to help you progress your career
- Flexible hours, a 37 hour week and 30 days annual leave
- Book discount of 15-40%
- Discounted public transport
At Springer Nature we value and celebrate the diversity of our people. We recognise the many benefits of a diverse workforce and strive for an inclusive workplace that empowers all our colleagues to thrive. Our search for the best talent fully encompasses and embraces these values and principles.
Which steps can you expect from our application process?
- If your CV looks promising, we’ll contact you for an initial phone interview – that will give you a chance to know some members of our team, set shared expectations and it will help us understand your motivation.
- We’ll then send you a test that you can complete in your own time
- In-person interview – pair programming will take place, you will get to know your future colleagues, the working environment and Springer Nature’s projects
Limitation: Permanent position
Working Hours: Full-time
Company and Location: Springer Nature GmbH, Berlin
Excited by the prospect of joining us? We are looking forward to your online application in English!
Please upload a CV and cover letter, let us know how did you find us, your salary expectations and current notice period.
To find out more information about our organization please take a look at www.springer.com and springernature.com.