Springer Nature is one of the world’s leading global research, educational and professional publishers. It is home to an array of respected and trusted brands and imprints, with more than 170 years of combined history behind them, providing quality content through a range of innovative products and services. Every day, around the globe, our imprints, books, journals and resources reach millions of people, helping researchers and scientists to discover, students to learn and professionals to achieve their goals and ambitions. The company has almost 13,000 staff in over 50 countries.
The Clinical Medicine Books Acquisition team is looking for a high-potential Editorial Assistant to join their team. S/he will provide valuable support to the Editorial team by building good working relationships externally with Authors/Editors and internally with Production, Marketing and Finance and managing day-to-day administration. S/he receives direction and work assignments directly from the Acquisitions Editor(s). This is a wonderful opportunity for an entry-level candidate eager to gain exposure in scholarly publishing.
Reporting into the Senior Editor, the Editorial Assistant must be able to analyze incoming communication and provide any necessary feedback and troubleshoot any problems that may arise in the Editors’ absence. S/he must be flexible and able to prioritize, organize and coordinate work assignments and to determine the most efficient way to accomplish each task. Other responsibilities include: corresponding with authors/editors, preparing book proposals and contracts, maintaining files and reports and preparing books for production for rapid publication. Specific responsibilities include:
- Prepare final manuscripts for handover to production
- Check any required rights, forms and permissions for third party content
- Co-ordinate editorial processes for new book proposals and contracts
- Co-ordinate projects – monitor the progress of and chase authors of contracted books to ensure timely submission of manuscripts / special issues
- Arrange for royalty and other payments for editors/authors
- Maintain and create department and product reports
- Liaise with authors and colleagues in marketing, production, finance, customer service and editorial departments,
- Draft and edit cover copy and blurbs
- Input of relevant data to systems, such as BFlux, JFlux, CRM etc.
Experience, skills and qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree with at least 6 months of office experience
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong attention to detail; exhibiting strong organizational and analytical skills are a must
- Be able to organise and prioritise numerous tasks and set schedules
- Be resourceful and proactive in dealing with problems and queries
- Have excellent team-working skills to deal with people at all levels both in the company and externally
- Must be able to act diplomatically in representing Springer
- Be proficient in the use of office software (MS Word and Excel) and have experience using social media tools
If you are an internal applicant please inform your line manager.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- Life and AD&D
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Transit Accounts
- Tuition Assistance
- Summer Hours
Springer Nature is an Equal Opportunity Employer that complies with the laws and regulations set forth in the following “Equal Employment Opportunity Is The Law” poster:
Visit the Springer Nature Editorial and Publishing website at www.springernature.com/editorial-and-publishing-jobs for more information about our Research E&P career opportunities.