BioMed Central is the leading open access publisher of STM (Science, Technology and Medicine) research. Since it was founded in 2000, BioMed Central has successfully pioneered the open access publishing model and brought open access to the mainstream. With offices in London, North America and Asia, the company employs over 290 people across a range of operations including editorial, production, IT and business. BioMed Central is a vibrant and innovative company. It operates in a fast-paced and high-energy environment, hiring talented people who are passionate about science, technology, medicine and open access.
Health Sciences, BMC
Closing date: 25th June 2018
As an Assistant Editor within the Health Sciences team, you will work both on our academic journals, and on ISRCTN–a clinical trial registry that is administered by BioMed Central (BMC). You will be responsible for efficiently progressing the content of a list of priority academic journals within health sciences through peer review, with the aim of minimizing time to publication. This includes assessment of manuscripts for adherence to editorial policies, working with the handling Editors to select and invite appropriate peer reviewers, verifying decisions on manuscripts and providing these to the Editors-in-Chief, and suggesting potential new members of the Editorial Board. For ISRCTN, you will work alongside the Database Editors and Database Manager to efficiently progress clinical trial registrations and ensure a high quality of service for researchers registering in the database.
This is a great opportunity to learn all there is to know about open access publishing and to develop a career in this space. We don’t require you to come with lots of existing publishing experience as we will teach you the more technical aspects of the role. You should ideally have biomedical experience to BS level or equivalent, and a strong interest in medical research methodologies and evidence-based medicine. An MS in a relevant topic could be useful also.
Excellent time management and broad scientific competence is a key part of this role. You will balance the needs of both a variety of journals within health sciences and ISRCTN and demonstrate confidence in working on manuscripts and trial registrations across a wide spectrum of biomedical disciplines.
To make an application to this position please submit a CV and a cover letter that details your interest and enthusiasm for the position.
Please see a detailed summary of responsibilities below:
Progressing individual journal content to ensure efficient peer review and adherence to editorial policies
- Proactively suggesting to Editors areas where additional Editorial Board members would be beneficial
- Identifying potential new members for the Editorial Board for Editors’ consideration
- Supporting projects to improve Editor engagement
- Routinely assessing the handling Editors’ activity and responsiveness
Other editorial duties
Other duties may include, on occasion, writing Editor’s Picks for highlighted articles, writing posts for relevant BMC blogs, liaising/communicating with internal and external stakeholders, and other tasks of a similar nature as directed.
Experience skills and qualifications
- Educated to degree level in a health science, biomedical or clinical subject area
- Highly customer-focused, with excellent communication and influencing skills
- Experience of developing and maintaining productive and friendly relations/partnerships with academic and industry-based researchers
- Excellent time management and organisational skills; including proven ability to take ownership to drive and complete tasks, to meet deadlines consistently, and adapt quickly to change
- Excellent critical appraisal, analytical and problem solving skills
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team
- Strong attention to detail/high accuracy
- Developed knowledge of the health sciences field
- Interest in scientific research and publishing
- Interest in medical research methodologies and evidence-based medicine
Springer Nature is a leading global research, educational and professional publisher, home to an array of respected and trusted brands providing quality content through a range of innovative products and services.
Springer Nature is the world’s largest academic book publisher, publisher of the world’s highest impact journals and a pioneer in the field of open research. The company numbers almost 13,000 staff in over 50 countries and has a turnover of approximately EUR 1.5 billion. Springer Nature was formed in 2015 through the merger of Nature Publishing Group, Palgrave Macmillan, Macmillan Education and Springer Science+Business Media.