Springer Nature is one of the world’s leading global research, educational and professional publishers. It is home to an array of respected and trusted brands and imprints, with more than 170 years of combined history behind them, providing quality content through a range of innovative products and services. Every day, around the globe, our imprints, books, journals and resources reach millions of people, helping researchers and scientists to discover, students to learn and professionals to achieve their goals and ambitions. The company has almost 13,000 staff in over 50 countries.
Position Summary and General Description:
Springer Nature is the world’s leading publisher of life science protocols and methods. Our leading titles include the Methods in Molecular Biology book series, as well as Nature Methods and Nature Protocols. Our newly launched research solution, Springer Nature Experiments, is set to further enhance and strengthen our position in this key scientific area.
As such, we are seeking a Product Manager to join our international Database Research Group, supporting content development, platform development, and business development of the Protocols and Methods portfolio, which focuses on experimental methods in biomedicine/life sciences. In his/her role, the candidate acts as the subject matter expert and will explain the product, its features and its content to researchers, faculty members, graduate students, and other stakeholders. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to take part in web-based product development, market research and marketing activities to ensure the business success and future of the Protocols and Methods Portfolio. Specific areas of responsibility include product trainings, scientific support to guide product development, second-level customer support, web-based client interactions and content marketing support. He/she is required to be self-motivated, flexible, co-operative and professional to meet the changing needs during the course of product life cycle.
- Guide and assist database sales by providing the sales teams with necessary technical knowledge and support.
- Implement and coordinate all necessary product trainings (webinars or in-person) for customers as well as the sales and marketing teams. Communicate all product upgrades, feature changes and content updates in a timely and efficient manner.
- Determine sales and marketing strategies for the established and emerging markets.
- Maintain financial performance of the assigned product(s) as defined by corporate goals and objectives. Recommend changes to the business models based on the understanding of the target market(s) as needed.
- Guide and assist product development by providing development teams with scientific knowledge and support.
- Act as the source of expertise for all product related enquiries.
- Employ your scientific background to engage with researchers and decision makers to create awareness of and interest in Springer Nature database products on a large scale and in small focus groups.
- Gather, monitor and analyze customer feedback.
- Pass on reviews to sales to initiate the sales process, and also to development departments for improvements or solutions.
- Coordinate with colleagues to promote the product(s) at conferences and meetings.
- Represent database products during sales trips, conferences, etc. in close coordination with colleagues in Asia, Europe and The Americas.
- Act as the liaison between marketing groups, sales teams, IT/development departments, editorial teams and researchers (product users).
- Design and conduct research on competing products. Prepare competitive analysis reports for the assigned product(s) and regularly update them.
- Engage the scientific community through personal interactions and social media with the end goal of showing that Springer Nature products can facilitate their research.
- Identify new market segments as well as new database products that might serve as valuable add-ons to the Springer Nature portfolio.
- Ph.D. in Biology, Biochemistry or related field. Post-doc experience is preferred.
- Experience with publishing scientific research
- Self-motivated and strictly business-minded
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Excellent social skills and project management skills
- Enjoys travelling
- Fluency in English and German.
Limitation: 1 year
Working Hours: Full-time
Company and Location: Springer-Verlag GmbH Heidelberg
Excited by the prospect of joining us?
We are looking forward to your online application using our online application system (SuccessFactors) stating your first possible date of joining and your salary expectations. Your contact person is Ms Birgit Kolb, HR Director Heidelberg.
To find out more information about our organization please take a look at www.springer.com and springernature.com.