Springer Nature is one of the world’s leading global research, educational and professional publishers. It is home to an array of respected and trusted brands and imprints, with more than 170 years of combined history behind them, providing quality content through a range of innovative products and services. Every day, around the globe, our imprints, books, journals and resources reach millions of people, helping researchers and scientists to discover, students to learn and professionals to achieve their goals and ambitions. The company has almost 13,000 staff in over 50 countries.
To drive institutional partnerships at policy level. To strengthen our internal editorial cooperation and coordinate our outreach efforts in China. To be a focal point for the collecting and disseminating intelligence gathered about the research landscape in China, particularly with respect to issues around funding, policy and politics. To represent Springer Nature, improve awareness of its publications, products and services, and promote its values through thought leadership.
• Drive national editorial projects with funding agencies and ministry level committees (e.g. Research integrity projects with Office of Research Integrity, Open Data with NSFC, Nano paper with CAS, journal ranking lists with ISTIC, …)
• Provide thought leadership on editorial policy to the scientific community
• Drive Memorandums of Understanding with Chinese stakeholders from a Springer Nature perspective
• First point of contact for all general (rather than content-specific) editorial policy in China, including SRG, NRG, ORG. Provide feedback to the Springer Nature Publishing Advisory Group as needed.
• Ensure communication and integration of China-based editors across disciplines
• Strengthen the editorial presence with focus on areas of opportunity and growth, lead outreach activities to institute leadership, and help develop and implement strategy for improving submissions of high-quality research to our publications.
• Gather and disseminate intelligence on research landscape, funding, policy, and politics, and drive pursuit of opportunities this presents.
• Facilitate collaborations between Springer Nature Editorial & Publishing staff and other divisions of Springer Nature.
• Promote the values of the Springer Nature brand through thought leadership activities
• Drive adoption of important industry initiatives like DORA, COPE, ORCID etc.
• Support the Greater China teams in the staging of events and activities such as whitepapers, symposia and conferences to raise the editorial profile of Springer Nature in China.
• Managing Director, Springer Nature, Greater China.
• Government Relations Director, Greater China.
• Local editors and other Springer Nature staff.
• Editorial leadership at NRG, ORG, SRG.
• Global and local heads of NRG, ORG, SRG.
• Executive & Chief Editors, Springer Nature.
• Communications team, Springer Nature.
• Head of Commercial, Nature Research, Greater China.
Qualifications or Equivalent Experience:
• A science graduate, with a PhD in a related discipline.
• Chinese speaker strongly preferred.
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
• Strong programme management skills.
• Proven partnership skills. Manage expectations and interests from all parties involved.
• Thorough knowledge of the Chinese scientific community and its needs.
• Sound knowledge and interest in science in general.
• Deep knowledge of Springer Nature editorial values and practices
• At least 5 years editorial experience
• 1–2 years of experience in STEM industry in Greater China.