BioMed Central is the leading open access publisher of STM (Science, Technology and Medicine) research. Since it was founded in 2000, BioMed Central has successfully pioneered the open access publishing model and brought open access to the mainstream. With offices in London, North America and Asia, the company employs over 290 people across a range of operations including editorial, production, IT and business. BioMed Central is a vibrant and innovative company. It operates in a fast-paced and high-energy environment, hiring talented people who are passionate about science, technology, medicine and open access.
Role: Journal Development Manager
Business Unit: BioMed Central/SpringerOpen, Open Research
Location: New York
We are excited to offer an opening to join our vibrant and innovative open access publishing team at Springer Nature, working on our respected BioMed Central and SpringerOpen journal portfolios. In joining the team you would become part of one of the world’s leading global scientific and medical publishers, with staff based in Europe, Asia and the Americas. Due to the success of this business area, the team is growing and we have a fantastic opportunity for an individual with a passion for scientific advancement in health sciences to develop their publishing career and work alongside some of the best in this field.
We are now looking for a Journal Development Manager to strategically develop a portfolio of STM open access titles. The position includes line management responsibilities. You will also enjoy building new business through journal launches and acquisitions, and help champion the needs of the portfolio, Editors-in-Chief and sponsoring societies within the portfolio.
Our ideal candidate will be a talented and proactive individual who is passionate about science and open access. While an academic background in the science isn’t required, candidates with STEM backgrounds are welcome to apply. Given the level at which you will operate, strategic thinking, the ability to oversee direct reports and build strong relationships are key to success in this exciting and varied position. Candidates should also have experience of managing a portfolio of products in academic publishing – we are open to candidate with books and/or journals publishing experience.
- Translate company strategy into journal development actions and journal improvement by prioritising journals for development and overseeing the setting and implementation of journal plans accordingly
- Develop and maintain excellent working relationships with Executive Editors, Section Editors, Associate Editors and other stakeholders
- Oversee journal activities for new journal launches within the series
- Be the key liaison for other departments for projects and activities affecting the BMC series, including marketing and technical matters
- Oversee the series representation at conferences
- Coordinate efforts across the team to ensure Editorial Boards are engaged, refreshed, up to date and representative.
Experience, skills and qualifications
- Educated to degree level or equivalent with a relevant science background
- Significant scientific publishing experience with experience of developing a portfolio of journals, including extensive contact with editors, authors, reviewers and societies
- An active interest in open access publishing
- Thorough knowledge of publishing process and related matters
- Customer focused
- Excellent communication and influencing skills
- Strong organisational skills with attention to detail
- Able to complete projects, working to (often competing) deadlines
- A positive and proactive approach to problem solving both in daily tasks and more complex trouble-shooting.
- Leadership skills
To apply, please submit an application and cover letter outlining your suitability to the role.