Springer Nature is one of the world’s leading global research, educational and professional publishers. It is home to an array of respected and trusted brands and imprints, with more than 170 years of combined history behind them, providing quality content through a range of innovative products and services. Every day, around the globe, our imprints, books, journals and resources reach millions of people, helping researchers and scientists to discover, students to learn and professionals to achieve their goals and ambitions. The company has almost 13,000 staff in over 50 countries.
Publishing Operations Coordinator, Open Research
The Open Research Group (ORG) is part of Springer Nature, the world’s largest academic book publisher, publisher of the world’s highest impact journals and a pioneer in the field of open research. We are in a unique position to think differently about what publishing should mean today. By using our combined expertise, scale and the reach of our brands, we aim to grow and innovate in order to better serve academic researchers, institutions and the wider public by helping them to access, share, use and apply the very best research and information available.
The Publishing Operations team’s role is wide-ranging and essential to the smooth running of our open access journal portfolio, which includes BMC and SpringerOpen titles amongst others. We have a great career opportunity for someone looking to develop a career in science publishing. You will support a number of different publishing processes which will allow you to learn about our industry. Previous experience is not necessary, although good knowledge of the publishing industry is desirable.
The Publishing Operations Coordinator will generate reports, help coordinate new journal launches, maintain and improve internal systems and processes, and provide some general administrative support to our Journal Development teams.
- Coordinate the successful set up of new open access journals, including building new journal websites and working closely with internal Editors through to launch
- Provide timely support for internal Editors by administering a shared inbox
- Compile and customise reports used by internal and external editors and analyzing this data where necessary
- Ensure contracts between journals and external signatories are processed in a timely manner
- Maintain internal systems, ensuring updates are communicated effectively to the wider business where appropriate
- Assist the journal acquisitions teams by monitoring new journal proposals from external sources
- Manage projects which result in the implementation of standardised workflows across the wider open access portfolio
- Organise meetings and conference calls with international representation
- Support journal indexing by submitting applications to external Abstracting and Indexing services
Experience, skills and qualifications
- Educated to degree level
- Strong organisational skills, with attention to detail
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- A high level of computer literacy – understands common software (e.g. Microsoft Office suite) and gains new software skills quickly
- Highly customer focussed
- Pleasant and tactful telephone manner
- Solid examples of being able to see tasks through to completion, working to (often competing) deadlines
- Analytical skills
- Able to respond to non-routine circumstances
- Self-starter with a positive, can-do approach to problem-solving
- Able to work cooperatively with colleagues at all levels
- Proven experience of administrative work
- Experienced in the use of Microsoft Excel and skilled at data manipulation
- Relevant knowledge of open access publishing or previous publishing experience
To apply for the position, please submit a CV and a covering letter, including your salary expectations and notice period.
Closing date: 20th May 2018
The candidates will be considered as they apply.