Nature Research is a flagship portfolio of journals, products and services including Nature and the Nature-branded journals, dedicated to serving the scientific community.
Nature Research, the publisher of Nature and Scientific American, is looking to recruit a Senior Editor for our Partnership and Custom Media team in the Middle East. This is an exciting new role which will help deliver commercially successful custom media projects contracted in the Middle East and India. As part of a leading local and global custom media operation that works with the world's best universities, companies and other organisations, your role will be to help conceive, plan, commission, edit and produce high-quality projects, whether that's a print magazine, a website, a video or a social media campaign.
You will be a seasoned science communicator with a track record of creating exciting projects in print and online, in English and Arabic. Producing clear, concise and accurate copy about scientific developments for the widest possible scientific audience will be second nature. You will relish the challenge of working with a team of designers, illustrators, picture researchers, social media experts, multimedia producers and more. You will be a team player, able to collaborate with sales colleagues on pitching and proposing new business, and with marketers to ensure our clients are thrilled with how their objectives are met.
You will need to have the following skills and experience:
- Comfort with, and ideally experience in, a commercial publishing setting
- 5+ years in an editorial role
- Experience in writing and explaining about complex science to broad non-specialist audiences
- Good grasp of how to hook a reader with compelling headlines, standfirsts/decks, leads
- Experience in leading teams to maintain regular publishing schedules
- Ability to work quickly and accurately under tight deadlines
- Ability to work collegially and effectively with writers, subeditors/copy editors, art and others
- High attention to detail and accuracy
- Good digital skills, including social media
- Understanding of online analytics and engagement
- An analytical, curious and creative outlook
- Familiarity with legal and journalistic ethical principles such as conflict of interest
- A dependable and responsible nature
- A strong grounding in some discipline of science –usually undergrad degree in science