Springer Nature is one of the world’s leading global research, educational and professional publishers. It is home to an array of respected and trusted brands and imprints, with more than 170 years of combined history behind them, providing quality content through a range of innovative products and services. Every day, around the globe, our imprints, books, journals and resources reach millions of people, helping researchers and scientists to discover, students to learn and professionals to achieve their goals and ambitions. The company has almost 13,000 staff in over 50 countries.
Nature Research is seeking to appoint an Editorial Assistant to manage the processing of manuscripts from submission to acceptance as well as supporting the standardisation of workflows, improved efficiencies, data collection, and to support authors, editors, and reviewers.
This position is key to assisting the editors with manuscripts, and ensuring content is processed within suitable timeframes. The ideal candidate will be able to prioritise their workload and work to tight deadlines but will also ensure that tasks are performed with speed and accuracy.
This is an administrative position which would be ideal for someone with some office experience wishing to start a career in a fast-paced publishing environment. The Editorial Assistant role supports the Editorial teams with processing manuscripts from submission to acceptance
Excellent communication skills are key to this role – both written and verbal. Building key relationships with Editors and Chief Editors is essential for this role, as is working alongside other publishing departments including production and the publishing team. The ideal candidate will have a positive attitude to their work.
The ideal candidate will be educated to degree level (or equivalent) and will be adept at using Microsoft Word, Outlook and Excel, working within a team and meeting daily deadlines.
What you will be doing:
- Managing the flow of manuscripts from submission to acceptance through the manuscript tracking system (MTS) - performing quality checks on manuscripts and ensuring all legal forms are collected and stored.
- Providing MTS support for Authors, Reviewers and Editors - troubleshooting and assisting with system issues and escalating to the relevant teams if needed.
- Liaising with Authors, Reviewers and Editors via email and telephone – ensuring your manner is always polite, professional and helpful
- Maintaining correct information within the databases – updating person records within the MTS and ensuring manuscript information is correct
- Assisting with editorial reports
- Assisting with other ad hoc tasks associated with the editorial workflow of manuscripts
- Providing team cover during periods of absence
- Experience working in a fast-paced office environment is preferred
- Microsoft Office suite and database management experience
- Educated to degree level (or equivalent)
About our interview process:
- If your CV looks promising, we’ll contact you for a short telephone call – that will give you a chance to learn more about who we are, and we’ll get an impression of your motivation
- We’ll then send you a test that you can complete in your own time
- Lastly, there will be an onsite or video interview (depending on where you are based) – where you’ll get to know your future colleagues, the working atmosphere and Springer Nature’s projects
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
• Varied and interesting tasks
• An excellent working environment with flat hierarchies
• A good work life balance with fair working hours + a generous and flexible vacation package
• Discounted public transport
• Discounted book prices
• An excellent on-site cafeteria
Working Hours: Full-time
Company and Location: Springer Nature GmbH, Berlin
Excited by the prospect of joining us? We are looking forward to your online application in ENGLISH!
To find out more information about our organization please take a look at www.springer.com and springernature.com.