Nature Research is a flagship portfolio of journals, products and services including Nature and the Nature-branded journals, dedicated to serving the scientific community.
Nature, the world’s most authoritative science journal, seeks an experienced science journalist and editor to oversee Nature‘s European news bureau.
The Bureau Chief will manage part of the team of award-winning reporters and editors that produce outstanding reported content across all of Nature’s digital and print platforms. You will be committed to, and responsible for, producing thought-leading, authoritative, analytical news articles, for an international audience of researchers and science stakeholders around the world. You will have particular responsibility for coverage of Europe, and for overseeing reporters and editors in this region.
Reporting to the Chief News and Features Editor, you will help shape the strategic direction for Nature’s journalism, especially in digital media, and work closely with bureau chiefs in the US & Americas and Asia Pacific region and with the Chief Features Editor. You will be passionate about the craft, practice and ethics of journalism and have an excellent understanding of our core audience of working scientists.
The requirements of this role mean you must already have significant experience working as a journalist at a major publication or media outlet. You will ideally have experience of managing a team of editors and journalists, as well as excellent interpersonal skills that enable you to communicate and build cohesion across a global team. You will be adept at sharp, accurate reporting, writing and editing, and comfortable working to tight and continuous deadlines.
This position is based in London. To apply, please submit a CV and a cover letter outlining your key ambitions in the role.
The deadline for receipt of applications is 15th April 2018
Summary of responsibilities
- Work with the Chief Magazine Editor, Chief News and Features Editor, Director of Editorial & Publishing, Magazines, and the Editor in Chief of Nature to plan, develop and produce outstanding journalistic content for Nature in digital and print media;
- Supervise and direct news editors and reporters; appraise them, set their goals and empower them to ensure excellent, timely content delivery; develop training and development plans as needed;
- Work closely with the heads of Nature’s regional bureaus in the US & Americas and Asia-Pacific region, as well as editors and reporters in these regions and the features team, to develop journalistic output and strategy for coverage that best serves Nature’s audience and builds its brand and reputation; co-ordinate response to breaking news;
- Generate and identify a stream of original ideas for enterprising, analytical stories for Nature, ranging from rapid news to investigative journalism to narrative-led long form stories, and commission those stories;
- Maintain broad knowledge of big issues in science, science policy, the scientific community and world current affairs;
- Work with art and multimedia team on images and graphics: writing coherent briefs, and working on image selection and development of graphics and multimedia content;
- Help develop a pool of trusted, talented freelancer writers;
- Edit and top edit copy to make it tight, coherent and compelling, working to tight deadlines;
- Write compelling headlines, standfirsts, captions and other accompanying text, to ensure articles have maximum research and impact;
- Report and write accurate, compelling, top-quality news, features, editorials and other journalistic content, as necessary;
- Work with all necessary digital tools to edit, post and publish stories;
- Make effective use of social media to promote stories;
- Lead special issues or content packages on selected themes as necessary;
- Liaise with Nature’s Chief Opinion Editor, Chief Careers Editor, leaders of Nature’s research sections and other team members to help joined-up planning and content generation across Nature, and response to world events;
- As necessary, work with platform and technology leaders to ensure Nature-worthy reader/user experience;
- Work with sub-editing, art and production teams to ensure timely delivery of content; help establish efficient workflows for digital and print journalistic content; work with colleagues and analytic tools to track reader responses, log impact, and tune content as needed;
- Contribute to development, implementation and enforcement of relevant editorial policies and procedures including those around journalistic ethics;
- Help liaise with legal team and editors to handle articles with legal sensitivities;
- Help develop novel ways to present content in print and digital;
- Contribute to broader editorial strategy discussions across the magazine and company, as necessary.
Experience, skills and qualifications
- Must have significant experience working as a journalist at a major publication or media outlet
- Expertise in journalism practice, including reporting, writing and editing for various media;
- Experience in organization and planning; abilty to build and operate short and long term schedules;
- Enthusiasm for, and basic fluency in, an array of science topics; good understanding of the interests and concerns of Nature’s audience of working research scientists.
- Good interpersonal skills and ease working with staff and freelance colleagues;
- Ability to work to tight deadlines;
- Flexibility to adapt to new production processes and tools;
- Command of journalistic values and best practices including libel law and defamation;
- University degree in a relevant subject, or equivalent professional experience;
- Understanding of the research, science policy and funding landscape in Europe.
- Experience in editorial leadership, including people management and team leadership;
- Comfort with analytic newsroom tools and their use to enhance content;
- Experience with social media platforms to promote and enhance content;
If you are an internal candidate please inform your line manager of your application.