Springer Nature is one of the world’s leading global research, educational and professional publishers. It is home to an array of respected and trusted brands and imprints, with more than 170 years of combined history behind them, providing quality content through a range of innovative products and services. Every day, around the globe, our imprints, books, journals and resources reach millions of people, helping researchers and scientists to discover, students to learn and professionals to achieve their goals and ambitions. The company has almost 13,000 staff in over 50 countries.
Editor, BDJ Team and News Editor, British Dental Journal
Fixed Term 9 months contract
Springer Nature publishes a number of dental titles on behalf of the British Dental Association (BDA). The British Dental Journal (BDJ) is the BDA’s flagship journal, predominantly aimed at dentists, published fortnightly both in print and online. Its sister publication BDJ Team is a monthly online-only magazine publishing high quality content relevant to all members of the dental team, including dental hygienists, dental therapists and dental nurses.
We are seeking an Editor to provide maternity cover for the full-time joint role of Editor of BDJ Team and News Editor of the BDJ. This position is offered on an initial 9 month maternity cover contract and you will report to the Executive Editor, BDA Publications. You will join a friendly and dynamic team committed to developing and delivering high quality content for the dentistry community in association with the British Dental Association.
- Producing the news, product news and selected other content for the BDJ as News Editor
- Planning, writing, reviewing and managing the content for BDJ Team as the magazine’s Editor
- Writing Continuing Professional Development (CPD) questions for BDJ Team
- Commissioning content for both publications
- Attending dental meetings, conferences and trade events
- Compiling and administering the letters pages in the BDJ
Experience, skills and qualifications
- A graduate degree
- Previous journalism and editorial management experience
- Previous editorial commissioning experience
- Strong organising and planning skills.
- Meticulous editing and administrative skills.
- Excellent English language and communication skills
- Experience in clinical journalism and/or publishing would be highly advantageous
- Knowledge of dentistry and the UK dental landscape
- Proven ability to work successfully as part of a team and to work accurately to a deadline.
- Confident computing skills.