Springer Nature is one of the world’s leading global research, educational and professional publishers. It is home to an array of respected and trusted brands and imprints, with more than 170 years of combined history behind them, providing quality content through a range of innovative products and services. Every day, around the globe, our imprints, books, journals and resources reach millions of people, helping researchers and scientists to discover, students to learn and professionals to achieve their goals and ambitions. The company has almost 13,000 staff in over 50 countries.
Managing Editor (m/f) Engineering, SN Applied Sciences
Location: Dordrecht Location: Heidelberg
Hours: 36 (fulltime) Hours. 37 (fulltime)
SN Applied Sciences will be a primary research journal from the publisher Springer Nature, covering Earth and Environmental Sciences, Physics, Chemistry, Material Science and Engineering. It will be published as a hybrid journal which also embraces open access; SN Applied Sciences will publish high volume, quality, scientifically valid, original research papers. With the support of external Editorial Board Members, papers are rapidly peer reviewed to ensure they are technically sound.
As a Managing Editor, you will be responsible for the overall Editorial output of the journal, including appointing and managing the Editorial Board, making final editorial decisions, and supporting the editorial workflow and peer-review process. Key performance indicators include quick publication, sound peer-review practices, and high levels of service to staff, authors, reviewers and Editorial Board Members (EBMs).
This is a fantastic opportunity for somebody with a passion for science to break into an editorial career on a high-profile, fast-paced, multidisciplinary journal.
What you will be doing
- Making final editorial decisions
- Assist in the daily management of the journal workflow, with the objective of providing rapid, constructive peer review and publication
- Respond to authors, reviewers, EBMs, editorial advisory panellists and readers of SN Applied Sciences in a timely fashion
- Work with the publishing team in the allocation of manuscripts to EBMs
- Liaise with EBMs on an ongoing basis to follow up on peer review and final decisions, ensuring decision policies are adhered to at all times by EBMs
- Resolve pre- and post- publication issues raised by staff, EBMs and readers (e.g. authorship, scope, ethics and consent, misconduct)
- Input to policy development initiatives and implement editorial policy as required
- Establish and maintain relationships with EBMs, including attending in-person meetings, and supporting initiatives to further improve engagement
- Manage recruitment and training of new EBMs where required
- Represent SN Applied Sciences at international and national meetings and/or conferences as required
- Be an active member of the Springer Nature editorial community, engaging with editorial colleagues on other journals and driving collaboration on projects as necessary
- PhD or equivalent in Engineering
- Thorough understanding of the scientific research community and its needs
- Strong interpersonal, communication and influencing skills, and fluent in English (written and spoken)
- Sound knowledge of and interest in science in general
- Highly self-motivated, resourceful and achievement-oriented
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong workload management and organisational skills
- Active, supportive team player
- Some editorial experience/knowledge preferable
For further information about the position, please contact Robert Doe, Executive Editor, at Robert.Doe@springernature.com or Nathalie Jacobs, Executive Editor, at Nathalie.Jacobs@springernature.com
Your contact person is Ms Birgit Kolb, HR Director Heidelberg.
Please apply using our online application system.