Springer Nature is one of the world’s leading global research, educational and professional publishers. It is home to an array of respected and trusted brands and imprints, with more than 170 years of combined history behind them, providing quality content through a range of innovative products and services. Every day, around the globe, our imprints, books, journals and resources reach millions of people, helping researchers and scientists to discover, students to learn and professionals to achieve their goals and ambitions. The company has almost 13,000 staff in over 50 countries.
Job Title - Associate or Senior Editor - Communications Physics
Location - New York or London
Nature Research is the world’s leader in publishing high-quality research from across the natural sciences. We are currently seeking an Associate/Senior Editor to join the team of Communications Physics, a new multidisciplinary open access physics journal. The journal will complement our existing Nature Research open access titles, Nature Communications and Scientific Reports.
The Associate/Senior Editor role is ideal for researchers who love science but feel that a career at the bench isn’t enough to sate their desire to learn in a more creative and dynamic environment.
The responsibilities include:
- To assist with the selection of manuscripts for publication.
- Suggesting and creating content for the journal, website and social media.
- Devising and supplying editorial content for special projects.
- Ensuring quality and speed of peer review.
- Maintaining a balance of tact and firmness when communicating with authors.
- Ensuring Production receives manuscripts in an appropriate and complete state.
- Engaging in Masterclasses to support business requirements.
- Other tasks as required.
To be considered for the position, you will have:
- A PhD (or equivalent) in optics, quantum optics or a related discipline. Post-doctoral experience would be advantageous but not essential.
- A genuine passion for physics and the ability to use it creatively to innovate and improve current practices and products.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and be fluent in English (written and spoken).
- The ability to read and assess the novelty, context and implications of research submitted to the journal from different areas of this discipline.
- Be eager to travel and meet scientists worldwide, learn more about them and their research, and help them learn more about us and what we are looking for in the papers we seek to publish.
- An interest in social media will be advantageous.
- This role is located in either our New York or London offices. All applicants must be able to demonstrate the right to live and work in the location they are applying for.. The position is offered on a full-time, permanent basis.
- Editorial experience is not required, although applicants with significant editorial experience are encouraged to apply and will potentially be considered for Senior Editor positions.
Applicants should include a CV, a covering letter explaining their interest in the post and their preferred office of employment, and a separate concise (<400 words) discussion of recent scientific developments that you found particularly exciting (stating why). Closing date: 30th March 2018, but candidates will be considered as they apply.