BioMed Central is the leading open access publisher of STM (Science, Technology and Medicine) research. Since it was founded in 2000, BioMed Central has successfully pioneered the open access publishing model and brought open access to the mainstream. With offices in London, North America and Asia, the company employs over 290 people across a range of operations including editorial, production, IT and business. BioMed Central is a vibrant and innovative company. It operates in a fast-paced and high-energy environment, hiring talented people who are passionate about science, technology, medicine and open access.
Job Title: Database Editor
Organisation: BioMed Central
BioMed Central is a vibrant and innovative open access publisher. An imprint of Springer Nature, one of the world’s leading global scientific and medical publishers, we operate in a fast-paced and high-energy environment, with staff based in Europe, Asia and the Americas.
The ISRCTN registry is a clinical trial registry recognised by WHO and ICMJE and administered by BMC that accepts all clinical research studies, providing content validation and curation and a unique identification number necessary for publication. ISRCTN supports transparency in clinical research, helps reduce selective reporting of results and ensures an unbiased and complete evidence base. The ISRCTN team is responsible for driving the growth of our business through maintenance, growth and development of the registry. This is done through upholding rigorous editorial standards, maintaining strong relationships with external customers, and effecting the smooth running and promotion of the registry through liaison with internal colleagues. We work closely with leading academics and policy makers, and remain close to the cutting-edge of scientific and medical advances, while gaining exposure to the academic journal publishing industry.
The Database Editor role will work on the ISRCTN trial registry and is ideally suited to a talented and proactive individual who is passionate about science, technology, medicine and open science. Excellent communication skills and the ability to build strong relationships are key to success in this position. Database Editors are responsible for progressing and curating content submitted to the registry, and keeping the records up-to-date. The successful candidate will be responsible for growing and developing the registry alongside the Database Manager, and ensuring exceptional service to our trialists, readers and other external stakeholders.
• To process study applications from submission to publication; this involves reviewing and editing content for accuracy, legibility and completeness;
• Writing plain English summaries for submitted studies to make them more accessible to a non-specialist audience;
• Develop and maintain excellent working relationships with trialists, Advisory Board members, society executives and other key contacts in the field, with the aim of building and maintaining the registry’s reputation and increasing submissions;
• To monitor, develop, and implement processes and policies ensuring that best practice is applied in the curation and publication of the study records.
• Collaborate with other BioMed Central departments, including the wider Publishing team, Marketing, Communications and Financial departments to develop and promote the ISRCTN registry;
• Represent the registry and company at internal and external local events to improve market knowledge, to network within the community, receive feedback on the registry, and to promote ISRTCN and clinical trial transparency.
Experience skills and qualifications
• Educated to degree level in a health science, biomedical or clinical subject area
• Highly customer-focused, with excellent communication and influencing skills
• Experience of developing and maintaining productive and friendly relations/partnerships with academic and industry-based researchers
• Excellent time management and organisational skills; including proven ability to take ownership to drive and complete tasks, to meet deadlines consistently, and adapt quickly to change
• Excellent critical appraisal, analytical and problem solving skills
• Ability to work collaboratively in a team
• Strong attention to detail/high accuracy
• Developed knowledge of the health sciences field
• Interest in scientific research and publishing
• Understanding of trial registration processes
Springer Nature is a leading global research, educational and professional publisher, home to an array of respected and trusted brands providing quality content through a range of innovative products and services. Springer Nature is the world’s largest academic book publisher, publisher of the world’s highest impact journals and a pioneer in the field of open research. The company numbers almost 13,000 staff in over 50 countries and has a turnover of approximately EUR 1.5 billion. Springer Nature was formed in 2015 through the merger of Nature Publishing Group, Palgrave Macmillan, Macmillan Education and Springer Science+Business Media.