Job Title: Publishing Project Manager, Nature Research
Nature Research is a flagship portfolio of journals, products and services including Nature and the Nature-branded journals, dedicated to serving the scientific community. To complement peer-reviewed research content, the Group’s magazine division produces accessible and award-winning news, feature and opinion stories across all formats under the Nature and Scientific American brands. These capabilities in scientific storytelling are leveraged under an agency model to create content-based marketing solutions for partners.
How the role fits in and the purpose
The Publishing Project Manager will coordinate delivery of (i) Nature's commercial supplement programme; and (ii) custom publishing and native advertising campaigns for European clients. The Publishing Project Manager will provide a bridge between the client-facing business development function and the creative team. He/she will determine schedules, manage budgets, improve workflows on a continuous basis and support the growth of the business.
• Manage print and digital publishing projects and advertising solutions across the project life cycle
• Manage multiple and varied projects simultaneously from initiation to closure
• Create documents that outline projects’ scopes, goals and deliverables and lead kick-off meetings
• Set project schedules and budgets, communicate them to all stakeholders and ensure they are met
• Allocate tasks to appropriate team members
• Manage relationships with, assign tasks to, and process payments for an international network of freelancers and subcontractors
• Foresee challenges or obstacles and take action to minimize impact
• Record revenues, track costs and maintain accurate profit and loss statements for individual projects
• Improve workflows, processes and guidelines in response to internal and external feedback
• Work cross functionally with sales, editorial, marketing and technology colleagues, and with global project management counterparts, to grow and continuously improve commercial publishing programmes
Experience, skills and qualifications
• An undergraduate degree in business, management or a scientific discipline
• significant experience managing multiple, short- to mid-term projects simultaneously whilst maintaining high standards
• Strong interpersonal, organisational and communication skills and the ability to influence others
• The ability to work both individually and as part of a global team
• The ability to work to tight and variable deadlines under pressure
• The ability to adapt to change and to solve problems
• Commercial awareness and aptitude for figures
• An interest in science communication
• Experience in publishing, media, advertising or public relations highly desirable
• Formal qualification in project management
To apply for the position, please submit a CV and a covering letter, including your salary expectations and notice period.
Closing date: 28th January 2018
Springer Nature is an Equal Opportunity Employer that complies with the laws and regulations set forth in the following EEO Is The Law Poster:
Springer Nature is a leading global research, educational and professional publisher, home to an array of respected and trusted brands providing quality content through a range of innovative products and services.
Springer Nature is the world’s largest academic book publisher, publisher of the world’s highest impact journals and a pioneer in the field of open research. The company numbers almost 13,000 staff in over 50 countries and has a turnover of approximately EUR 1.5 billion. Springer Nature was formed in 2015 through the merger of Nature Publishing Group, Palgrave Macmillan, Macmillan Education and Springer Science+Business Media.