Nature Research is a flagship portfolio of journals, products and services including Nature and the Nature-branded journals, dedicated to serving the scientific community.
Associate Editor / Senior Editor roles, Nature Research – Talent Pool 2018
Do you love science but feel that a career at the bench isn’t enough to sate your desire to learn more about the natural world? Do you enjoy reading papers outside your chosen area of research? If the answer is ‘yes’ to any of these questions, you could be the type of person we’re looking for to join the editorial team of a Nature Research journal as an Associate Editor or Senior Editor.
Nature Research is a world leader in publishing high-quality research from across the natural sciences. Its journals include Nature, the Nature Research journals, the Nature Reviews journals and Nature Communications. To help us to build on the success of these journals, we frequently recruit individuals directly from the research community into editorial roles.
We’re keen for people with relevant PhDs (or equivalent) and preferably postdoctoral experience, to join us at an Associate Editor / Senior Editor level. If you bring a passion for science, we will develop your editorial and publishing expertise.
Associate Editors / Senior Editors play an important role in determining the representation of their subject in the journal. They handle original research papers, and work closely with other editors on all aspects of the editorial process, including manuscript selection and overseeing peer review. The ability to recommend well-reasoned editorial decisions on submitted manuscripts in the light of expert advice is crucial. Our editors also liaise extensively with editors at other journals in the Nature family and develop effective relationships with the international scientific community they serve. Editorial experience is not required for these roles, although applicants with significant editorial experience are encouraged to apply and will potentially be considered for Senior Editor positions.
To be considered for this type of position, you will have:
- A PhD (or equivalent) in a relevant field to our journals
- Some postdoctoral research experience is preferred
- A passion for science and a thirst to learn more
- A thorough understanding of recent trends and developments in the field is essential. You must be able to demonstrate the breadth of your interest in scientific research, both within and beyond your speciality
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and be fluent in English (written and spoken).
- The ability to read and assess the novelty, context and implications of submitted research to the journal from different areas of this discipline
- A desire to travel and meet scientists worldwide by attending conferences and organising lab visits, to learn more about them and their research, and help them learn more about us and what we are looking for in the papers we seek to publish
- An understanding of what makes a well-written and accessible research or review paper, and the desire to work with authors to help them achieve this.
If this sounds of interest to you and reflects your career plans then we want to hear from you.
Please register your interest for Associate Editor / Senior Editor roles for 2018 and we will keep you posted as opportunities arise.