Nature Research is a flagship portfolio of journals, products and services including Nature and the Nature-branded journals, dedicated to serving the scientific community.
Job title: Publishing Manager / Senior Publishing Manager (secondment or fixed term contract)
Department: Editorial and Publishing, Nature Research
From its inception in 1869, Nature aimed to serve researchers through prompt publication of significant advances in any branch of science. There are now 44 Nature branded journals, which provide a forum for scientists to publish their best research and also to review the work of others.
The Nature Research division is growing rapidly and we are now looking for a Publishing Manager to join the Nature journals publishing team to cover a maternity leave. The ideal candidate will have strong analytical and presentation skills and will have experience working for an STM publisher. Furthermore, s/he will be comfortable working across all areas of the natural, clinical and social sciences, and will have an excellent undergraduate degree in a scientific discipline.
This is a unique opportunity to work at the very heart of Nature Research Group’s editorial and publishing activities on a secondment or fixed term contract. If you are passionate about science and the value it can bring to society, then we would very much like to hear from you.
The responsibilities include:
- Developing and supporting publishing and commercial activities across the Nature branded titles.
- Lead on publishing projects (research based or implementation based) as required by the Editorial and Publishing management team.
- Act as the day to day publishing contact for a portfolio of titles.
- Establish, provide and monitor KPIs and financial reports
To be considered for the position, you will have:
- Science-based degree or equivalent working experience
- Excellent management and communication skills
- Ability to act independently and take the initiative
- Ability to dive into detail while maintaining a view of the strategic priorities
- Thorough understanding of the scientific process as it pertains to STM publishing
- Strong analytical skills
- Excellent presentation skills, with the ability to sell ideas
- Enthusiasm and passion for excellence in science
- Demonstrable experience in an editorial or publishing management role
The position is based in our Kings Cross office in London.
Applicants should send a CV, and a brief cover letter explaining their interest in the post and their salary expectations.
The closing date for applications is: 21st January 2018
If you are an internal candidate please inform your line manager of your application.