Nature Research is a flagship portfolio of journals, products and services including Nature and the Nature-branded journals, dedicated to serving the scientific community.
Job Title: Associate Editor (Economics/Political Science)
Department: Nature Human Behaviour
Location: London (UK)
Salary: Competitive Market Rate
Nature Research (part of Macmillan Publishers, branded as Springer Nature) is a flagship portfolio of journals, products and services including Nature and the Nature-branded journals, dedicated to serving the entire scientific community.
Nature Research is the world’s leader in publishing high-quality research from across the journal sciences. Its journals include Nature, the Nature Research journals, the Nature Reviews journals and Nature Human Behaviour.
Launched in January 2017, Nature Human Behaviour publishes research of outstanding significance into all aspects of individual and collective human behaviour. The journal has a strong interdisciplinary identity, encompassing research in psychology, neuroscience, economics, political science, anthropology, sociology, genetics, evolution, and beyond.
Nature Human Behaviour seeks an Associate Editor with a background in economics or political science to join its editorial team.
Key elements of the position include selection of manuscripts for publication, as well as commissioning, editing and writing for the journal. Close contact with related research communities, through conferences and laboratory visits, will be an essential component of the work.
The successful candidate will report to the Chief Editor of the journal and play an important role in determining the representation of their subject in the journal. Our editors handle original research papers, and work closely with other editors in their team on all aspects of the editorial process. They also liaise extensively with editors at other journals in the Nature family and with leading experts in the international scientific community.
The position is offered on a full-time, permanent basis, and will be located in our London office.
To be considered for the position, you will have:
- Research experience to PhD level (or equivalent) in economics or political science, with broad interests in human behaviour research, superior abilities in the communication of scientific ideas, and willingness and ability to learn new fields.
- A passion for science and a thirst to learn more. You must be able to demonstrate the breadth of your interest in scientific research, both within and beyond your speciality.
- The ability to read and assess the novelty, context and implications of research submitted to the journal from different areas of this discipline, and to make well-reasoned editorial decisions in the light of expert advice.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, and fluency in English (written and spoken).
- Eagerness to travel and meet scientists worldwide, learn more about them and their research, and help them learn more about us and what we are looking for in the papers that we seek to publish.
- Editorial experience beneficial but not required.
Nature Human Behaviour also aims to strengthen the reach and impact of behavioural research in addressing our most pressing societal challenges. We therefore especially seek candidates who maintain a strong, on-going interest in the applications of human behaviour research to policymaking.
The editor will join our team in the London office of the larger publishing group that also produces Nature, Nature Neuroscience, Nature Ecology & Evolution, Nature Genetics, Nature Medicine, and Nature Communications.
Applications should include:
- A cover letter telling us who you are and why you want to become a full-time Nature journal editor.
- A CV detailing your education, relevant employment history, list of published scientific papers, salary expectations, and any other achievements that you feel demonstrate your suitability for the position.
- A News & View style piece (500 words maximum) of recent scientific developments in human behaviour research which you have found particularly exciting (stating why).
Closing date for the applications: 14th May 2018
Springer Nature is a leading global research, educational and professional publisher, home to an array of respected and trusted brands providing quality content through a range of innovative products and services.
Springer Nature is the world’s largest academic book publisher, publisher of the world’s highest impact journals and a pioneer in the field of open research. The company numbers almost 13,000 staff in over 50 countries and has a turnover of approximately EUR 1.5 billion. Springer Nature was formed in 2015 through the merger of Nature Publishing Group, Palgrave Macmillan, Macmillan Education and Springer Science+Business Media.
Visit the Springer Nature Editorial and Publishing website at www.springernature.com/editorial-and-publishing-jobs for more information about our Research E&P career opportunities.