Nature Research is a flagship portfolio of journals, products and services including Nature and the Nature-branded journals, dedicated to serving the scientific community.
Job Title: Editorial Systems Specialist, Nature Research
Nature Research is seeking to appoint an Editorial Systems Specialist to act as the internal primary contact for the Nature journals using the manuscript tracking system (MTS), troubleshooting, supporting requests and implementing changes.
The position is key to supporting both the internal editorial and editorial administration teams with process changes across portfolio groups, and you will be responsible for implementing the confirguration work.
The main responsibilities for this role are:
- Act as the internal primary contact for the Nature Research journals using the manuscript tracking system (MTS), troubleshooting issues, supporting requests and implementing changes.
- Coordinate and support inter-journal MTS configuration requests and changes.
- Work closely with the MTS technology team as necessary to answer or resolve larger or more difficult requests.
- Investigate the MTS set up across Nature titles, as required, and strive to improve and standardize their configurations with the goal of improving the author and reviewer experience.
- Investigate multiple workflow options and provide solutions to additional workflow requests.
- Chair regular ‘surgery’ meetings with the EAMs (Editorial Administration Managers) who need support and guidance on system changes.
- Provide system training for new Editors and Editorial Assistants to ensure training is consistent across the division.
- Manage and regularly update internal user documentation.
- Support the development of new features in the editorial systems.
- Act as the point of contact between the Nature Research journals and article repositories and investigate and coordinate work needed to support additional repositories, as well as answering author queries and offering support when needed.
- Act as the primary contact with Crosscheck for a set portfolio of journals and maintain the Crosscheck accounts and monitor usage.
- Supporting and testing the new MTS sites for Nature branded journals.
Experience, skills and qualifications
- Educated to degree level (or equivalent)
- Experience of using manuscript tracking systems is essential.
- Experience and/or an understanding of the scientific research community and its needs is desirable
- Thorough understanding of the process of publishing a scientific paper
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Proven ability to organize own time, prioritise work and meet deadlines
- Active, supportive team player
To apply, please submit a CV and a cover letter outlining your key ambitions in the role, including your salary expectations.
Closing date: 17th January 2018
If you are an internal candidate please inform your line manager of your application.