Springer Nature is one of the world’s leading global research, educational and professional publishers. It is home to an array of respected and trusted brands and imprints, with more than 170 years of combined history behind them, providing quality content through a range of innovative products and services. Every day, around the globe, our imprints, books, journals and resources reach millions of people, helping researchers and scientists to discover, students to learn and professionals to achieve their goals and ambitions. The company has almost 13,000 staff in over 50 countries.
The Editorial Assistant provides editorial support to Acquisitions Editor(s) in the Clinical Medicine acquisitions team. S/he receives direction and work assignments directly from the Acquisitions Editor(s). This is a wonderful opportunity for an entry-level candidate eager to gain exposure in scholarly publishing with a focus on book acquisitions.
Reporting into the Executive Editor, the Editorial Assistant must be able to analyze incoming calls/e-mail and provide any necessary feedback and troubleshoot any problems that may arise in the Editors’ absence. S/he must be flexible and able to prioritize, organize and coordinate work assignments and to determine the most efficient way to accomplish each task. Other responsibilities include: corresponding with authors/editors, preparing book proposals and contracts, maintaining paper and electronic files, and preparing books for production for rapid publication. Specific responsibilities include:
- Preparation of incoming manuscripts for production and publication e.g., photocopying of manuscripts and labeling/organization book files, thorough scrutiny of manuscripts for internal consistency and completeness (as well as supplying camera-ready front matter material for each manuscript, including Table of Contents and Index when needed), completion of all internal forms to be circulated with manuscripts.
- Logging of outstanding permissions and solicitation of permissions from the appropriate publishers/outside authors and/or interaction with Springer authors/editors to assist in the securing of permissions.
- Preparing contract folders, arranging royalty payments for Editors / Authors.
- Under supervision of Executive Editor, fulfilling Author/Editor needs, preparing a "before, during and after" relationship with the author.
- Acting as liaison between Authors, production department and promotion departments after manuscripts have been submitted to production.
- Maintenance of projects database for proposals, upcoming and published books.
- Use Microsoft Office software, including Excel, Word and Outlook, plus additional database software, including internal systems: BFlow, JFlow, etc.
- Bachelors degree with at least 6 months of office experience.
- At least 1 year of experience in either science publishing or journal publishing is preferred.
- Laser focus and attention to detail; exhibiting strong orgainzational and analytical skills are a must.
- Ability to set own schedule as well as team schedule and follow up on multiple projects as appropriate.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; thorough knowledge of office procedures
- Must be able to act diplomatically in representing Springer.
- Strong computer skills required in MS Word, and Excel..
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- Life and AD&D
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Transit Accounts
- Tuition Assistance
- Summer Hours.
Springer Nature is an Equal Opportunity Employer that complies with the laws and regulations set forth in the following EEO Is
The Law Poster: