Palgrave Macmillan specialises in cutting-edge academic books in the Humanities and Social Sciences. It publishes monographs, journals, textbooks, professional and reference works, in subjects ranging from Political Science, Economics and History, to Literature, Linguistics and Business.
Palgrave Macmillan has a great opportunity to join the highly successful Scholarly Division at Palgrave Macmillan, a leading global academic publisher in the humanities, business and social sciences. We’re looking to recruit an energetic and highly organized candidate to support our Commissioning Editor of Literature.
As well as providing core support to the Commissioning Editor, the role involves building excellent working relationships with authors and day-to-day administration. This role is based within the Humanities Division of Palgrave Macmillan, publishing scholarly books in history, literature, philosophy, film, culture & media, and theatre & performance studies. Our mission is to publish high-quality original, peer-reviewed scholarly content for the humanities academic community. The Editorial Assistant provides a vital role in supporting the Commissioning Editor, to ensure the literature list is managed efficiently, that our authors receive a high quality of service, and that our books are published to our high standards. Specific repsonsibilities include:
- Managing editorial processes including the peer review process for new proposals
- Preparing final typescripts for handover to production
- Database management
- Writing and editing cover copy and blurbs
- A wide range of administrative tasks
- Liaising with authors as well as with colleagues in sales, marketing, production, design and editorial
- Bachelor's degree with passion for academic and scholarly publishing (previous direct exposure preferred)
- Have excellent team-working skills to deal with people within the company and externally at all levels
- Diplomatic and assertive individual who is able to work with demanding stake-holders
- Able to organise and prioritise numerous tasks and be able to work on their own initiative
- Resourceful and proactive in dealing with problems and queries
- Demonstrate good publishing business awareness and the ability to learn quickly
- Have excellent verbal and written communication skills and be numerate and IT systems-literate, with a sharp eye for detail
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- Life and AD&D
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Transit Accounts
- Tuition Assistance
- Summer Hours
Springer Nature is an Equal Opportunity Employer that complies with the laws and regulations set forth in the following EEO Is
The Law Poster:
For information about our Research Editorial and Publishing career opportunities please visit the new Springer Nature E&P website at www.springernature.com/editorial-and-publishing-jobs.
Springer Nature is a leading global research, educational and professional publisher, home to an array of respected and trusted brands providing quality content through a range of innovative products and services.
Springer Nature is the world’s largest academic book publisher, publisher of the world’s highest impact journals and a pioneer in the field of open research. The company numbers almost 13,000 staff in over 50 countries and has a turnover of approximately EUR 1.5 billion. Springer Nature was formed in 2015 through the merger of Nature Publishing Group, Palgrave Macmillan, Macmillan Education and Springer Science+Business Media.