BioMed Central is the leading open access publisher of STM (Science, Technology and Medicine) research. Since it was founded in 2000, BioMed Central has successfully pioneered the open access publishing model and brought open access to the mainstream. With offices in London, North America and Asia, the company employs over 290 people across a range of operations including editorial, production, IT and business. BioMed Central is a vibrant and innovative company. It operates in a fast-paced and high-energy environment, hiring talented people who are passionate about science, technology, medicine and open access.
Organisation: BioMed Central
Job Title: Database Manager
Location: London, UK
BioMed Central is a vibrant and innovative open access publisher. An imprint of Springer Nature, one of the world’s leading global scientific and medical publishers, we operate in a fast-paced and high-energy environment, with staff based in Europe, Asia and the Americas.
The ISRCTN registry is a clinical trial registry recognised by WHO and ICMJE and administered by BMC that accepts all clinical research studies, providing content validation and curation and a unique identification number necessary for publication. ISRCTN supports transparency in clinical research, helps reduce selective reporting of results and ensures an unbiased and complete evidence base. The ISRCTN team is responsible for driving the growth of our business through maintenance, growth and development of the registry. This is done through upholding rigorous editorial standards, maintaining strong relationships with external customers, and effecting the smooth running and promotion of the registry through liaison with internal colleagues. We work closely with leading academics and policy makers, and remain close to the cutting-edge of scientific and medical advances, while gaining exposure to the academic journal publishing industry.
The Database Manager role will oversee the ISRCTN trial registry and is ideally suited to a talented and proactive individual who is passionate about science, technology, medicine, and open science. The successful candidate will be responsible for growing and developing the registry, and ensuring exceptional service to our trialists, readers and other external stakeholders. Given the level at which you will operate, strategic thinking, excellent communication skills, and the ability to oversee direct reports and build strong relationships are key to success in this exciting and varied position.
- Drive strategic development of the ISRCTN registry
- Proactively identify and respond to market/discipline trends and opportunities, making recommendations for improvements
- Collaborate with other BioMed Central departments, including the wider Publishing team, Communications, Financial, Marketing and Techology departments to develop and promote the ISRCTN registry
- Develop editorial policies and processes that ensure data quality and completeness in line with recognised industry standards. Ensure that services provided adhere to expectations from key stakeholders
- Preparation and oversight of budget, ensuring annual revenue targets are achieved
- Ensuring submission, publication, and update targets are met through routine monitoring, and adjusting team activities if required
- Manage key relationships with major clients and the ISRCTN board of directors, including defining the level of service, quoting, drafting contractual agreements, reporting and advising
- Develop and maintain excellent working relationships with trialists, Advisory Board members, society executives and other key contacts in the field, with the aim of building and maintaining the registry’s reputation and increasing submissions
- Become recognized as an expert by own network in the stakeholders community, liaising with other trial registers to contribute to best practice
- Represent the registry and company at local and international conferences to improve market knowledge, to network within the community, receive feedback on the registry, and to promote ISRCTN and clinical trial transparency
- Line-management of one to three Database Editors
Experience, skills and qualifications
- Educated to degree level in a health science, biomedical or clinical subject area
- Knowledge and understanding of clinical trial processes as well as trial registration and publishing landscapes
- Highly customer-focused, with excellent communication and influencing skills
- Extensive experience of developing and maintaining productive relations/partnerships with academic and industry-based researchers
- Excellent time management and organisational skills; including proven ability to take ownership to drive and complete tasks, to meet deadlines consistently, and adapt quickly to change
- Excellent critical appraisal, analytical and problem solving skills
- Line management or supervision/mentoring experience
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team
- Strong attention to detail
- Experience in trial registration
- Experience managing a team
Springer Nature is a leading global research, educational and professional publisher, home to an array of respected and trusted brands providing quality content through a range of innovative products and services.
Springer Nature is the world’s largest academic book publisher, publisher of the world’s highest impact journals and a pioneer in the field of open research. The company numbers almost 13,000 staff in over 50 countries and has a turnover of approximately EUR 1.5 billion. Springer Nature was formed in 2015 through the merger of Nature Publishing Group, Palgrave Macmillan, Macmillan Education and Springer Science+Business Media.