BioMed Central (BMC) is a large portfolio of peer-reviewed open access journals for Science, Technology and Medicine. The journals span all areas of biology, medicine and health, including broad interest titles such as BMC Biology and BMC Medicine alongside specialist journals, such as Malaria Journal and BMC Infectious Diseases.
We are currently seeking to hire a Journal Development Editor (JDE) who will be responsible for the success of a defined set of life science journals. This involves prioritization of journals for development and the setting and implementation of journal plans accordingly, as well as supporting our stakeholders (Editors, authors, reviewers, and societies). The aims are to optimize the publishing service, optimize commercial opportunities and to increase submissions. Communication is a key part of this role, developing and maintaining excellent working relationships with our stakeholders.
Specific responsibilities include:
A. Relationship management
- Develop and maintain excellent working relationships with Editors-in-Chief, Society contacts, Editorial Board members and other stakeholders, acting as their key point of contact for publishing matters.
- Resolving queries and corresponding with Editors by email, phone and in person, ensuring that communications are responded to within a timely fashion and upscaled when required.
- Build excellent relationships and team working within the immediate team and other departments.
B. Journal development
- Prioritize journals for development or maintenance in line with company strategy
- Define key objectives per journal, and devise and implement journal development plans accordingly, amending as required.
- Develop knowledge of the fields the portfolio operates within (e.g. to identify important journals/features/hot topics etc) and use knowledge to actively identify journal development opportunities for BioMed Central.
- Manage set up activities for journals within your cluster within expected timeframes.
- Proactively flag and implement improvements to journal development processes where required.
- Work alongside Editors and Editorial Board members to increase journal visibility, and reputation within the field.
C. Increase article inflow and citation share
- Work with internal and external Editors and related contacts to increase submissions.
- Increase the portfolio’s share of citations compared to the competition, through article inflow and appropriate marketing.
- Ensure appropriate representation in indexing services and work to ensure journals are performing at level for acceptance by selective services.
- Ensure that journals receive appropriate promotion (e.g. blogs, press releases, Twitter etc) as per targets set.
- Drive the commissioning of content, as per journal development plans.
D. Editorial Boards
- Ensure Editorial Boards are representative of subject breadth at an international level, customer geography/demographics, and include emerging markets.
- Work with internal and external Editors to keep Editorial Boards engaged and refreshed.
- Plan, hold and follow up on Editorial Board meetings/conference calls, in conjunction with Editors.
E. Journal Management
- Ensure that authors and reviewers who contact a journal receive appropriate support from the Publisher, ensuring that communications are responded to within a timely fashion (2 working days) and upscale when required.
- Prepare responses to complaints received via our author survey.
- Monitor data on peer review service to optimize manuscript flow. Pre-empt issues and work with the Editorial Office as well as internal and external Editors to resolve and delays.
- Handle contract renewals in a timely fashion, consulting with colleagues on contract terms and negotiations as necessary.
- Be familiar with COPE Guidelines to be able to advise on ethical queries, and ensure all journals comply with these.
- Ensure correct filing of documents and correct data entry (e.g. into Salesforce, JFlow, JADE, etc.) to enable monitoring of renewal dates, correct honoraria payments, and that all journal information (e.g. on website and marketing material) is kept up to date.
F. Commercial and Marketing opportunities
- Work with marketing to ensure journals are appropriately represented through all relevant avenues e.g. conferences, mailings, etc.
- Represent the company at scientific conferences when required to improve market knowledge, to network within the community, receive feedback on the journals and to promote BioMed Central journals and open access.
G. Acquisitions Activities (as applicable - these may only be introduced as JDE develops in role)
- Work with Acquisitions Editors/Associate Publishers to research and identify gaps in the portfolio where there are opportunities for new journals
- Investigate opportunities for transfer of existing journals to BioMed Central.
- Assist with generating leads and opportunities for potential acquisitions through attendance at conferences, and liaising with Editors, society representatives and other key opinion leaders.
- Ensure journal websites and any further external information sources are kept up-to-date.
- Ensure that internal documentation is up to date and that information is easy to find and use.
- Pro-actively flag bottlenecks and potential process improvements.
- Other duties as required by manager.
- Educated to degree level, with a relevant life sciences background.
- An interest in open access publishing.
- Work experience in an online environment.
- A high level of computer literacy (including MS Office, Outlook and internet browsers.)
- Willing to travel occasionally and represent BioMed Central at external events.
- Experience developing and maintaining productive and friendly relations/partnerships with external contacts.
- Knowledge of publishing process and related matters.
- Customer focused with excellent communication and influence skills.
- Pleasant and tactful manner both over the phone and in person.
- Strong organizational skills, with attention to detail
- Analytical skills and the ability to complete tasks, working to (often competing) deadlines.
- A positive and proactive approach to problem-solving.
- Able to work cooperatively with colleagues at all levels.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- Life and AD&D
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Transit Accounts
- Tuition Assistance
- Summer Hours
Springer Nature is an Equal Opportunity Employer that complies with the laws and regulations set forth in the following EEO Is The Law Poster:
Springer Nature is a leading global research, educational and professional publisher, home to an array of respected and trusted brands providing quality content through a range of innovative products and services.
Springer Nature is the world’s largest academic book publisher, publisher of the world’s highest impact journals and a pioneer in the field of open research. The company numbers almost 13,000 staff in over 50 countries and has a turnover of approximately EUR 1.5 billion. Springer Nature was formed in 2015 through the merger of Nature Publishing Group, Palgrave Macmillan, Macmillan Education and Springer Science+Business Media.