Nature Research is a flagship portfolio of journals, products and services including Nature and the Nature-branded journals, dedicated to serving the scientific community.
Job Title: Editorial Assistant
Department: Nature Research
Nature Research is seeking to appoint an Editorial Assistant to manage the processing of manuscripts from submission to acceptance as well as support the standardisation of workflows, improve efficiencies, data collection, and to support authors, editors, and reviewers.
This position is key to assisting the editors with manuscripts, and ensuring content is processed within suitable timeframes.
The ideal candidate will be able to prioritise their workload and work to tight deadlines but will also ensure that tasks are performed with speed and accuracy.
This is an administrative position which would be ideal for someone with some office experience wishing to start a career in a fast-paced publishing environment.
Excellent communication skills are key to this role – both written and verbal. Building key relationships with Editors and Chief Editors is essential for this role, as is working alongside other publishing departments including production and the wider Editorial Administration department. The ideal candidate will have a positive attitude to their work.
- Managing the flow of manuscripts from submission to acceptance through the manuscript tracking system (MTS) - performing quality checks on manuscripts and ensuring all legal forms are collected and stored.
- Providing MTS support for Authors, Reviewers and Editors - troubleshooting and assisting with system issues and escalating to the relevant teams if needed.
- Liaising with Authors, Reviewers and Editors via email and telephone – ensuring your manner is always polite, professional and helpful
- Maintaining correct information within the databases – updating person records within the MTS and ensuring manuscript information is correct
- Assisting with editorial reports
- Assisting with other ad hoc tasks associated with the editorial workflow of manuscripts
- Providing team cover during periods of absence
Experience, skills and qualifications
- Educated to degree level (or equivalent)
- Experience working in a fast-paced office environment is preferred
- Microsoft Office suite and database management experience
- Working within a team and meeting daily deadlines
To apply for the position, please submit a CV and a covering letter, including your salary expectations and notice period.
Closing date: 14th December 2017