Nature Research is a flagship portfolio of journals, products and services including Nature and the Nature-branded journals, dedicated to serving the scientific community.
Nature Research seeks a Scientific Copy Editor for a combined position working on Nature and Nature Medicine, handling copy written by our award-wining team of journalists as well as by academic authors. You will need to be comfortable dealing with anything from general science news to sophisticated primary research. You will also need excellent time-management skills to balance the rapid turnaround of a news environment with the varied demands of journal production.
Responsible for high-quality scientific sub/copy editing and basic quality control of Nature Magazine and Nature Research journal manuscripts in a timely fashion, maintaining the journals’ high standards of clarity and readability while helping to ensure on-time publication.
- Subedit material accepted or written for publication by Nature as directed by the Chief Subeditor. Ensure text is in good English and conforms to house style. Ensure display items are correct and consistent with the text. Ensure that material is subbed within production deadlines.
- Correct proofs, artwork and pages during the production process, to ensure that the pages are finished to the appropriate standard for output.
Edit text, figures and tables of primary research and secondary/tertiary articles in timely fashion for style, grammar, punctuation, spelling, genetic nomenclature, internal consistency and clarity.
To ensure linking effectiveness and integrity of online articles, check supplementary information citations, URLs and database accession codes for accuracy, and check references for accuracy against PubMed using eXtyles.
- BA or MS degree and preferably laboratory experience in science (biology preferred)
- Excellent literary and word-processing skills, and experience copy editing a science-related magazine or journal.
- The ability to use InDesign and InCopy is desirable but not essential.
This is a full-time position located in New York City.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- Life and AD&D
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Transit Accounts
- Tuition Assistance
- Summer Hours
Springer Nature is an Equal Opportunity Employer that complies with the laws and regulations set forth in the following EEO Is The Law Poster:
Visit the Springer Nature Editorial and Publishing website at www.springernature.com/editorial-and-publishing-jobs for more information about our Research E&P career opportunities.
Springer Nature is a leading global research, educational and professional publisher, home to an array of respected and trusted brands providing quality content through a range of innovative products and services.
Springer Nature is the world’s largest academic book publisher, publisher of the world’s highest impact journals and a pioneer in the field of open research. The company numbers almost 13,000 staff in over 50 countries and has a turnover of approximately EUR 1.5 billion. Springer Nature was formed in 2015 through the merger of Nature Publishing Group, Palgrave Macmillan, Macmillan Education and Springer Science+Business Media.