1. Along with SN Global ORG stakeholders, develop and implement growth strategy; lead SN Open Research business and outreach in Greater China (Mainland China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Macau)
- Aligning with ORG global strategy, devise regional strategy and develop growth roadmap for Open Research business in Greater China, including all major ORG brands such as NPG, BMC, and SO and new global initiatives like Compact. Positioning SN Open Research with the most effective brand strategy to optimize quality of contents published and maximise APC revenue. Identify key growth levers as well as risk areas in APC revenue for proactive management/mitigation.
- Forecasting revenue, profit, global and local resource requirement, in collaboration and agreement with ORG global stakeholders, and supported by ORG Global FD and SN Greater China FD to build solid Open Access publishing business plans.
- Drive, monitor and report key KPIs indicative of revenue (in particular) and profit growth in Greater China, but also including submission and publication workflow, manuscript transfer, author satisfaction, net promoter score, acceptance rate, marketing conversion rate etc. (in collaboration with ORG global stakeholders in agreeing upon KPIs and dashboards).
- Lead OR outreach and marketing campaigns in Greater China [working with local PR, marketing and editorial staff to maximise impact] by supporting global, Asian and China-based marketing managers; improve targeting accuracy and return on investment for OR marketing and B2A (to author) outreach.
- Analyse and improve the effectiveness institutional sales and partnership model and activities in Greater China and other growth drivers of BMC/SO APC revenue.
- Support the implementation of OR partnership and co-publishing journal strategy in China, including NPJ, OA AJ, and BMC/SO partnership journal acquisition and development in China, especially from partner relationships and commercial perspectives. Develop China specific strategy to safeguard long term SN business interests in partnership journals, especially when state owned publishing partners and research institutions. Build a strong personal relationship with the range of partners with whom we interact
- Position SN ORG as a thought leader in Open Science and Open Research, promoting innovations in open data, open standards and other areas within the research community in China. Develop positioning strategy in coordination with key members of the NRG, SRG and other areas in China.
- Understand and monitor policy development in OA funding, author/institution/funder attitude and awareness in China and incorporate into strategy.
- Resolve OR business or operational issues and remove barriers in China along the author experience journey from pre submission to post publication. This can include submission and acceptance workflow, manuscript transfer mechanism, fulfilment/invoicing, and other customer services issues.
2. Build, lead and develop the OR team in Greater China
- Build strong and trusting relationships with the ORG global leadership team
- Lead, coach and role model by adopting Springer Nature Leadership Principles.
- Follow Springer Nature Communication and Meeting principles to act as a bridge between the local and global stakeholders to ensure effective decision making and implementation.
- Work with Regional MD and HR to ensure the appropriate staffing as required in the new integrated OR division in Greater China
- Work together with HR Directors in the region to participate in HR initiatives to better improve talent development and performance, retention, support staff global mobility and their career development.
- Work closely with ORG global stakeholders to ensure the OR Greater China team to keep a strong link with ORG global counterparts in their respective lines
3. Contribute to SN Greater China leadership team and ORG global management team
- Participate in SN Greater China leadership meetings and contribute to set the regional policy and overall business goal as a key member of SN Greater China leadership team
- Be a fully contributing member of the ORG global leadership team. As Greater China OR business owner, participate in the ORG global business/management meetings as applicable and contribute to ORG global initiatives in strategy, new product development/launch, representing regional perspective and interests.