Springer Nature is one of the world’s leading global research, educational and professional publishers. It is home to an array of respected and trusted brands and imprints, with more than 170 years of combined history behind them, providing quality content through a range of innovative products and services. Every day, around the globe, our imprints, books, journals and resources reach millions of people, helping researchers and scientists to discover, students to learn and professionals to achieve their goals and ambitions. The company has almost 13,000 staff in over 50 countries.
Under limited supervision of the Senior Editor, the Assistant Editor manages the development and workflow of assigned titles from signed contract to publication. The role involves extensive author contact, manuscript review, long range planning for growth and development of the program. Responsible for a minimum of four quarterly and bi-monthly journals.
- Manages development of journals from signed contract to handover of final manuscript, working with Senior Editor, Production Editors, and Editors-in-Chief to ensure that schedules and journal program requirements are met, title content is as planned for market, and high editorial standards are achieved.
- Actively acquires content for journals with an annual increase determined by management.
Develops yearly Journal Improvement Plans to address pending issues and manage journal expectations.
Holds twice-yearly editorial board meetings to discuss journal status and evaluate content requirements.
Develops and maintains international Editorial Boards.
Keeps JFlow and Springer.com accurate and up-to-date adding information as needed.
Sends invitations and author guidelines to Editors-in-Chief, Section Editors, and Authors. Works with Production to ensure all required forms are signed, completed, and returned by Authors.
Works with Editor-in-Chief to secure late manuscripts, or when a manuscript cannot be procured, work with Editor-in-Chief to develop alternate plans for completing an issue per journal plan.
Researches journal field to determine if content change is necessary to keep the journal current.
Researches and discusses new projects with editorial colleagues particularly in overlapping areas.
Process all manuscripts through iThenticate to evaluate papers for plagiarism.
Supervises final editorial preparation of manuscripts for production.
Keeps detailed records for each project, and the status of each article as it moves through the editorial to production systems.
Approximately 5%-10% travel as well as strong initiative and independent functioning.
Performs related duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Minimum 1 to 2 years’ experience in related editorial capacity.
- Must be well organized and attentive to detail.
- Strong communication skills (both verbal and written).
- Must be proficient in MS Word and Excel.
- Must be able to manage several projects at once and set/reset priorities as necessary.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- Life and AD&D
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Transit Accounts
- Tuition Assistance
- Summer Hours.
Springer Nature is an Equal Opportunity Employer that complies with the laws and regulations set forth in the following EEO Is
The Law Poster: