BioMed Central is the leading open access publisher of STM (Science, Technology and Medicine) research. Since it was founded in 2000, BioMed Central has successfully pioneered the open access publishing model and brought open access to the mainstream. With offices in London, North America and Asia, the company employs over 290 people across a range of operations including editorial, production, IT and business. BioMed Central is a vibrant and innovative company. It operates in a fast-paced and high-energy environment, hiring talented people who are passionate about science, technology, medicine and open access.
Job Title: Global Head of Peer Review, BMC Series
Organisation: BMC Series
The Head of Peer Review is responsible for delivering a best in class, efficient and rapid, end to end peer review process for the BMC series journals. They are responsible for the performance of assistant editors working on the 65 journals within the portfolio, including target setting, monitoring performance against targets, and ensuring the practical implementation of new policies, workflows, processes and systems.
- Understand and ensure operational efficiency in the end to end peer review process
Working closely with the Global Head of Publishing:
- Understand and drive the development of initiatives to improve the author experience at the pre-submission, submission, peer-review and acceptance stages of the editorial process
- Provide line management, leadership and support for the global assistant editor team
- Deliver on performance targets including turnaround times and author satisfaction scores.
- Monitor the pipeline of manuscripts in review and make data driven decisions on the allocation of resources
- Identify issues in the flow of manuscripts that may affect the TAT and rapidly implement solutions to address these
- Ensure that processes are in place to maintain the quality of published manuscripts across the BMC series and ensure adherence to editorial policies
- Ensure that authors receive clear and consistent instructions and propose revisions to guidelines as necessary to the BMC series management team and the Research Integrity Group.
- Drive continual improvement initiatives across the portfolio
- Develop, inspire, energise and lead staff to drive the change needed to enable the portfolio to publish even more research, to retain submitted manuscripts within the portfolio and to enable transfers in from other portfolios.
- Provide the vision and direction for change activities, and support staff to ensure that the change process provides tangible benefits while not losing any of what we already have
- Be an active and collaborative member of the BMC Group Leadership Team
- Provide trusted leadership and management to the Assistant Editor team
- Provide line management, leadership, coaching and support for team leaders and assistant editors
- Be visible to all groups of editors, meeting with them to hear their views and ideas, and to develop a unified team encompassing all divisions
- Meet regularly with your team to review progress against objectives and to support them in their interactions with authors and reviewers
- Carry out annual performance and development reviews
- With the Publishing Director, set performance targets for all staff, and ensure that these are monitored regularly and that action is taken as appropriate. The targets should reflect the following aims: maximise the number of total submissions; meet the quality standards as agreed with the Publishing Director; maximise the speed to decision and acceptance; maximise the number of accepted articles into other journals
- With the Head of Publishing and Head of Workflow, develop KPIs for the journals, and ensure that these are monitored regularly and that action is taken as appropriate.
- Ensure that staff overheads and travel budgets are efficiently managed within budget
- Ensure the implementation of new policies, workflows, systems and processes
- Set up, manage and participate in projects as required
- Identify projects and initiatives that may be beneficial to the BMC series and, if approved, lead on these.
- Represent the BMC series on company projects relating to workflow initiatives.
- Manage projects to introduce new workflow initiatives, ensuring full collaboration with all stakeholders, suitable pilot phases, efficient rollout and appropriate follow-up.
- Keep up-to-date with industry trends and competitor advances in author experience and workflow initiatives.
Experience, skills and qualifications
- Excellent operational management skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent leadership and team-building qualities
- Strong analytical skills
- Enthusiasm and passion for excellence in science
- Data handling/analysis and reporting skills
- Previous experience of managing process/workflow
- Solid management experience in an editorial or operational role in STM publishing
- Experience of manuscript submission systems
- Science degree and research experience
- Thorough understanding of the scientific process as it pertains to STM publishing
- Thorough understanding of the needs of authors and referees as key customers
- Customer focus (internal and external relationships)
Drive and motivation to meet or exceed customer expectations, Nurtures relationships by recognising and delivering on internal and external customer’s needs and opinions. Makes customers and their needs a primary focus of their actions.
Embraces creativity, innovation and is open to new ideas. Innovates to improve current working practices / products / technologies to provide business opportunities and results. Proactively pursues opportunities to drive change that add value to the business. Welcomes new challenges, and contributes views and ideas. Adapts well to, and is energized by change whilst maintaining focus on key business goals and personal objectives. Takes action to achieve favourable outcomes for the organisation, beyond minimum performance expectations, and seeks opportunities to improve work procedures.
- Strategy & Planning (incorporating Business Awareness)
Understands the needs and direction of the business in context of market opportunities, threats and overall business/departmental objectives. Anticipates and develops individual/team/business priorities to meet these. Embraces change and drives to improve current working practices / products/technologies to grow the business.
- People Management (incorporating resource planning, performance management, development and motivation)
Effectively manages people to achieve the best results for the business. Ensures that people receive accurate and timely feedback, that they feel valued, motivated and are getting the most out of working for the Company. Enlists support, co-operation and participation when influencing and guiding others toward the accomplishment of tasks. Monitors performance on an on-going basis, provides positive feedback for effective performance, coaches to resolve performance difficulties.
- Leadership (incorporating team leadership, professional impact, networking, continuing professional development)
Role models and drives conviction and a shared vision for his/her group or business area that motivates others to work towards it. Has a clear sense of direction and future focus which they share with others. Able to develop a sense of focus and energy for the team and takes action to influence others to work towards accomplishment of the mission. Consistently delivers on commitments and timetables. Communicates both good and bad news honestly and directly.