Nature Research is a flagship portfolio of journals, products and services including Nature and the Nature-branded journals, dedicated to serving the scientific community.
Assistant, Associate or Senior Editor
Nature Chemical Biology: Shanghai
Do you love science but feel that a career at the bench isn’t enough to sate your desire to learn more about the natural world? Do you find yourself reading papers outside your chosen area of research? Does the growth of science in China excite you?
If the answer is ‘yes’ to any or all of these questions, you could be the person we’re looking for to join the editorial team of Nature Chemical Biology at our offices in Shanghai.
Nature Chemical Biology is the world’s leading journal in chemical biology, publishing high-quality research and commentary from across the chemistry-biology interface. To help us to build on the success of this journal and to explore the exciting opportunities offered by the surge of high impact scientific research in China, we’re seeking a chemical biologist, ideally with training in biophysical chemistry or biophysics, who has a critical eye, a deep understanding of their subject and interests beyond, and who can think on their feet.
To be considered for the position, you will have:
• A PhD (or equivalent) in chemistry, biology or an allied discipline. A clear understanding of chemical biology is essential. Postdoctoral research experience is strongly preferred.
• A passion for science and a thirst to learn more. You must be able to demonstrate the breadth of your interest in scientific research, both within and beyond your speciality.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and be fluent in English (written and spoken). Knowledge of Mandarin would be an advantage but is not essential.
• The ability to read and assess the novelty, context and implications of research submitted to the journal from different areas of this discipline.
• Be eager to travel throughout China to meet Chinese scientists, learn more about them and their research, and help them learn more about us and what we are looking for in the papers we seek to publish.
The successful candidate will report to the Chief Editor of the journal and play an important role in determining the representation of their subject in the journal. They will handle original research papers submitted from all over the world, and work closely with other editors on all aspects of the editorial process, including manuscript selection and overseeing peer review. The ability to recommend well-reasoned editorial decisions on submitted manuscripts in the light of expert advice is crucial. They will liaise extensively with editors at other journals in the Nature family and leading experts in the international scientific community. They will also be ambassadors for Nature Research throughout China, and be involved in substantial outreach activities, including lab visits and seminars. Editorial experience is not required, although applicants with significant editorial experience are encouraged to apply and will potentially be considered for Senior Editor positions.
The role is offered on a full-time, permanent basis in our Shanghai office following an expected 3 month training period in the Boston office. Any offer of employment will be contingent on the necessary work permits for the USA and China, as applicable, being granted (the Company will provide reasonable assistance with the necessary application process in this respect).
Applications should include the following:
- A cover letter telling us who you are and why you want to leave bench-research to become a full-time Nature Chemical Biology journal editor.
- A CV detailing your education, relevant employment history, list of published scientific papers, and any other achievements that you feel demonstrates your suitability for the position.
- A Research Highlight in the style of Nature Chemical Biology (see http://rdcu.be/jPuS) that peer-reviewed research paper that has caught your attention recently. The paper you highlight should not be from your own (or previous) research group, but should be on a topic that you find interesting (and may even wish to learn more about). The highlight should explain the significance and implications of the research to someone who is not a specialist in the subject.
For more information about Nature Chemical Biology, visit our website at http://www.nature.com/nchembio/authors/index.html#aim
Nature Research is a division of the international scientific publishing company Springer Nature that publishes academic journals, magazines, online databases, and services in science and medicine. Springer Nature is a major new force in scientific, scholarly, professional and educational publishing. By using its combined expertise, scale and the reach of our brands, the company aims to grow and innovate in order to better serve academic researchers, students, teachers, institutions, professionals and the wider public, by helping them discover more. Springer Nature was created through the combination of Nature Publishing Group, Palgrave Macmillan, Macmillan Education and Springer Science+Business Media in May 2015. This strategic merger brought together these dynamic publishing houses with more than 150 years of history behind them, as well as complementary geographic footprints and brand portfolios, a track record of creativity and innovation, and a shared vision to advance knowledge and learning around the world.
We will begin reviewing applications on Monday 19th September.