→ Apply until 15/04/2018 23:59 CET
→ Discipline: Applied Language Studies (German)
→ 100% Assistant professor / Associate professor / Full professor
→ Faculty of Arts and Philosophy
→ Reference number: 201801/LW/ZAP/002
ABOUT GHENT UNIVERSITY
Ghent University is one of the most important education and research institutions in the Low Countries. On a daily basis, over 9,000 staff members and 41,000 students implement its motto "Dare to Think". Ghent University's mission statement is characterized by qualitative education, internationally renowned research and a pluralistic social responsibility.
The Faculty of Arts and Philosophy has a vacancy for a lectureship, starting from 1 October 2018. The post is a full-time position as an assistant professor (tenure track), associate professor or full professor in the Department of Translation, Interpreting and Communication, with duties including academic teaching, academic research and carrying out academic services in the discipline of Applied Language Studies (German).
You will be required to lecture various course units in the discipline of Applied Language Studies (German).
You will conduct research in the discipline of multilingual communication, translation and interpreting research, language/translation didactics or language technology applied to German.
You will be invited to take part in the internal and external service provision of the department of Translation, Interpreting and Communication.
- have high-level academic research experience in the field of Applied Language Studies, which can be corroborated by publications in quality, peer-reviewed, academic journals and books;
- should have demonstrable expertise in one of the department’s research fields as applied to German: multilingual communication, translation and interpreting research, language/translation didactics or language technology applied to German;
- are capable of initiating and supervising academic research and collecting the necessary funds for this;
- should possess the necessary didactic skills to help university students develop and achieve academic competences;
- should be able to demonstrate experience in teaching German at an academic level, with German as the language of instruction;
- being internationally mobile, inter alia by taking part in research programmes at research institutions not linked to the university where the highest degree was obtained, will be considered an asset;
- having positively evaluated experience in offering and/or organising academic training is recommended;
- involvement in the professionalisation of education will be considered an asset;
- having a command of the Dutch language is recommended.
Skills / Attitude
- You are quality-oriented;
- You take initiative;
- You are flexible with regard to the distribution of tasks within a department;
- You are a team player.
- You are a thesis-based doctorate holder or hold a diploma or certificate that is recognised as equivalent (article V.20 of the Codex of Higher Education).
Upon evaluation of a foreign (non-EU) diploma, a certificate of equivalence may still have to be requested from NARIC. If this is the case, we advise you to initiate this recognition procedure as soon as possible. You are required to have the recognition no later than on the date of your appointment.
- You have at least two years of postdoctoral experience on October 1, 2018. This term of two years is determined by the date written on the above-mentioned required diploma.
Depending on the specific profile of the selected candidate, the degree of assistant professor (tenure track), associate professor, full professor or senior full professor will be awarded. This will be decided by the University Board as proposed by the Faculty Board.
(In the case of assistant professor TT ≥50% or full-time)
- We offer you a temporary appointment in a tenure track system for a term of five years. If positively evaluated by the University Board, the term of office will be transferred into a permanent appointment as an associate professor.
- Should you already be a member of the professorial staff or hold an equal post at another university or research institution, you can immediately be appointed as an assistant professor, without prejudice to the possibility of a temporary appointment offered in article V.28 of the Codex of Higher Education.
(In the case of associate professor or full professor)
- We offer you a permanent appointment in the starting grade of associate professor or full professor, without prejudice to the possibility of a temporary appointment offered in article V.28 of the Codex of Higher Education.
The assignment starts on October 1, 2018 at the earliest.
Ghent University is committed to properly welcoming new professorial staff members and offering them appropriate guidance. The basic teacher training and courses of Dutch and English for foreign-speaking lecturers are only a few examples of our wide range of training and education opportunities. Furthermore, each Ghent University staff member can count on a number of benefits, such as a bike allowance, reimbursement of commuting expenses by public transport, day care, a wide range of sports facilities and EcoCheques. A full overview of our employee benefits is listed on our website.
Ghent University also invests in welcoming international professorial staff. It offers various housing options, a relocation bonus, the International School for school-aged children (with a discount on the tuition fee), support when registering at the City of Ghent, support with the procedure of family reunification and other administrative matters in connection with moving to Ghent. More information can be found on www.ugent.be/en/living and www.ugent.be/en/staff.
GENDER AND DIVERSITY
Ghent University conducts an equal opportunities policy and encourages everyone to apply. Ghent University also strives for a gender balance. Female applications are thus especially welcomed.
After the final application date, all received applications will be sent to the faculty assessment committee assembled for this vacancy. This committee will first evaluate the application files by matching all elements of the file against the required expertise for the position in terms of education, research and scientific service. Based on this deliberation, relevant candidates will be invited for further selection (interview, possible presentation or test lecture, …). Afterwards, the committee will rank the suitable candidates and present this ranking to the Faculty Board. The advice of the Faculty Board will then be presented to the University Board for approval.
Candidates are asked to further discuss their top 5 most important publications or other academic achievements with the highest impact. Next to academic publications, the candidate will thus also be able to show merit of knowledge transfer by academic dissemination, social valorisation, public awareness, seminars or conference presentations. These competences are also taken into account when evaluating the candidates.
The evaluation of the required international mobility is broad and partly takes the gender perspective into account. Accordingly, not only longer stays abroad are considered, but also other forms of internationalisation.
Pregnancy leave, prolonged sick leave, parental leave, filial leave or other forms of absence are taken into account when evaluating the available time for the realisation of academic output.
HOW TO APPLY
Apply online through the e-recruitment system before the application deadline (see above). We do not accept late applications or applications that are not sent through the online system.
Your application must include the following documents:
- In the field ‘Cv’:
- the professorial staff application form (+ all annexes mentioned in the form), merged into one pdf file;
- An outline (1500 words maximum) in which you explain your views on research, teaching and academic services in relation to this vacancy;
- A research proposal (1500 words maximum) about the research which you wish to conduct within the research area of multilingual and intercultural communicationand language/translation didactics (http://research.flw.ugent.be/multiples), or translation and interpreting research (http://research.flw.ugent.be/eqtis), or language technology (http://research.flw.ugent.be/lt3) or translation and culture (http://research.flw.ugent.be/trace). The research proposal should at least describe background, objectives/questions, method, expected results and feasibility.
- A portfolio with information about any additional teaching competences.
- In the field ‘Cover letter’: your application letter in pdf format
- In the field ‘Diploma’: a transcript of your doctoral degree. If you have a foreign diploma/certificate in a language other than our national languages (Dutch, French or German) or English, please add a translation in one of the languages mentioned.
- In the field ‘Certificate of equivalence’: only for diplomas awarded outside the European Union: certificate of equivalence (NARIC) (if already in your possession)
Note that the maximum file size for each field is 10 MB.
For further information regarding this vacancy, please contact Professor Veronique Hoste (veronique.hoste@UGent.be) at the faculty of Arts and Philosophy, Department of Translation, Interpreting and Communication.