→ Apply until 06/03/2018 23:59 CET
→ Discipline: Architectural Design: Theory and Methodology
→ 100% Assistant professor tenure track / Associate professor
→ Faculty of Engineering and Architecture
→ Reference number: 201712/EA01/ZAP/001
ABOUT GHENT UNIVERSITY
Ghent University is one of the most important education and research institutions in the Low Countries. On a daily basis, over 9,000 staff members and 41,000 students implement its motto "Dare to Think". Ghent University's mission statement is characterised by qualitative education, internationally renowned research and a pluralistic social responsibility.
The faculty of Engineering and Architecture has a vacancy for a professorship, starting from October 1st, 2018. It concerns a full-time position as Professor in the rank of Assistant Professor (docent, Tenure Track) or Associate Professor (hoofddocent) in the Department of Architecture and Urban Planning, charged with academic teaching (mostly in Dutch), scientific research and carrying out scientific duties in the field of Architectural Design: Theory and Methodology.
You lecture various course units in the discipline of Architectural Design: Theory and Methodology.
In the bachelor programme (in Dutch) you are lecturer-in-charge of ‘Theory of Design 1’ and Theory of Design 2’, and you collaborate to one or more design studios ‘Architectural Design 1, 2 and 3’.
In the master programme you are responsible for some topics in the ‘Advanced Topics Module Theory of Design, Design Methodology and Instruments’, and you supervise Master's Dissertations.
You conduct fundamental research in the discipline of Architectural Design: Theory and Methodology. You work toward connections with the theoretical and historical approaches already present, by giving attention not only to current phenomena but also to long term developments (regarding for instance building typologies, design methodology, agency and author function, the relation between design, governance and use, etc.).
You conduct applied research in design related problems with an important socio-economic or socio-cultural impact.
You attract funds for both the fundamental and applied research.
You take part in the internal and external service provision of the Department of Architecture and Urban Planning.
- You have already conducted eminent academic research in the given discipline, which is clearly reflected in publications in high-quality academic journals and peer-reviewed books.
- You are didactically skilled to teach university students to develop academic competences.
- Recommended are:
- international mobility, among other things thanks to research stays at institutions external to the one where you acquired your highest academic degree;
- positively evaluated experience in provided or organised academic lecturing;
- professionalisation of education.
- You hold a thesis-based doctorate or a diploma or certificate that is recognised as equivalent (article V.20 Codex Higher Education).
- Upon evaluation of a foreign (non-EU) diploma, a certificate of equivalence may still have to be requested at NARIC. If this is the case, we advise you to initiate this recognition procedure as soon as possible. You are required to have the recognition no later than on the date of your appointment.
- You have at least two years of postdoctoral experience on October 1, 2018. This term of two years is determined by the date written on the above-mentioned required diploma.
Depending on the specific profile of the selected candidate, the degree of assistant professor (tenure track) or associate professor is awarded. This will be decided by the University Board as proposed by the Faculty Board.
In case the degree of assistant professor is awarded we offer you a temporary appointment in a tenure track system for a term of five years. If positively evaluated by the University Board, the term of office will be transferred into a permanent appointment as an associate professor.
Should you already be a member of the professorial staff or hold an equal post at another university or research institution, you can immediately be appointed as an assistant professor, without prejudice to the possibility of a temporary appointment offered in article V.28 of the Codex of Higher Education.
In case the degree of associate professor is awarded we offer you a permanent appointment, without prejudice to the possibility of a temporary appointment offered in article V.28 of the Codex of Higher Education.
The recruitment is possible no sooner than October 1st, 2018.
Ghent University is committed to properly welcoming new professorial staff members and offering them appropriate guidance. The basic teacher training and courses of 'Dutch' and 'English' for foreign-speaking lecturers are only a few examples of our wide range of training and education opportunities. Furthermore, each Ghent University staff member can count on a number of benefits such as a bike allowance, reimbursement of public transport commuting costs, daycare, a wide range of sports facilities and EcoCheques. A complete overview of all our employee benefits (in Dutch).
Ghent University also invests in welcoming international professorial staff. It offers various housing options, a relocation bonus, the International School for school-aged children (with a discount on the tuition fee), support when registering at the City of Ghent, support with the procedure of family reunification and other administrative matters in connection with moving to Ghent. More information can be found on www.ugent.be/en/living and www.ugent.be/en/staff.
GENDER AND DIVERSITY
Ghent University conducts an equal opportunities policy and encourages everyone to apply. Ghent University also strives for a gender balance. Female applications are thus especially welcomed.
After the final application date, all received applications will be sent to the faculty assessment committee assembled for this vacancy. This committee will first evaluate the application files. Therefore it will match all elements of the file against the required expertise for the position in terms of education, research and scientific service. Based on this deliberation, relevant candidates will be shortlisted to be invited for further selection (interview, possible presentation or test lecture …). Afterwards, the committee will rank the suitable candidates and present this ranking to the Faculty Board. The advice of the Faculty Board will then be presented to the University Board for approval.
Candidates are asked to further discuss their 5 most impactful academic achievements. Next to academic publications, the candidate is thus also able to show merit of knowledge transfer by academic dissemination, social valorisation, public awareness, seminars or conference presentations. These competences are also taken into account when evaluating the candidates.
The evaluation of the required international mobility is broad and partly takes the gender perspective into account, thus not only considering longer stays abroad by also other forms of internationalisation.
Pregnancy leave, prolonged sick leave, parental leave, filial leave or other forms of absence are taken into account when evaluating the available time for the realisation of academic output.
HOW TO APPLY
Apply online through the e-recruitment system before the application deadline (see above). We do not accept late applications or applications that are not sent through the online system.
Your application must include the following documents:
- In the field ‘Cv’: your cover letter and the professorial staff application form (+ all annexes mentioned in the form), merged into one pdf file.
- In the field ‘Cover letter’: your application letter in pdf format
- In the field ‘Diploma’: a transcript of your doctoral degree. If you have a foreign diploma in a language other than our national languages (Dutch, French or German) or English, please add a translation in one of the mentioned languages.
- In the field ‘Certificate of equivalence’: only for diplomas awarded outside the European Union: certificate of equivalence (NARIC) (if already in you possession)
Note that the maximum file size for each field is 10 MB.
Match of this vacancy within the strategic goals of the department.
For further information regarding this vacancy, please contact Professor Peter Troch, chair of the evaluation committee (firstname.lastname@example.org; +32 9 264 54 94).