WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
Job holders may either perform Logistics support functions in the front office and report to Head of Unit and/or his/her designated Logistics Officer. Job holders are expected to produce organised and accurate work, undertaking specific business support activities.
To handle receipt/dispatch and verification of commodities in order to maximise quality of warehouse operations and mitigate losses, and to support the best storage management practices in compliance with WFP warehouse standards and established guidelines
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
Under the overall supervision of a Head of Unit and/or his/her designated Logistics Officer, the Logistics Assistant will undertake the following duties:
- Provide support to logistics operations and activities, following standard processes and facilitating, directly or indirectly, the effective delivery of food assistance to beneficiaries.
- Support timely ordering and delivery of commodities and supplies to authorized partners and destinations.
- Support management of logistics vendors’ contracting activities including performance monitoring and measurement.
- Respond to a variety of technical queries/requests for support, following standard processes, and obtaining guidance as required, to ensure timely and accurate resolution of all enquiries with a service mind-set.
- Contribute to budget preparation, monitoring and revision for all delivery modalities, ensuring adherence to relevant procedures and in compliance with corporate standards (raising PRs in WINGS).
- Assist in monitoring inventory management processes to track trends and account for the inventory status from source to beneficiary.
- Assist in management of commodity accounting data quality and integrity (LESS in particular).
- Process documentation for execution of logistics operations (e.g. customs clearance, invoice verification), take appropriate actions to resolve operational issues escalating various issues to the supervisor.
- Collect and compile data, produce and/or contribute to reports (e.g. CCTI, SPRs, financial closure, physical inventory, transport performance) and ensure information accuracy in corporate systems in support to informed decision-making (focusing on tracking of daily stock movements).
- Provide guidance to other support staff, in order to assist them in completing standard tasks to agreed standards and deadlines.
- Any other tasks as assigned.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
At least three years of progressively responsible experience in the relevant field including at least one year in the field of transport/ commodity handling /warehousing.
- Experience using logistics databases to extract routine reports.
- Experience in managing warehouses with food and NFIs.
- Experience in managing inventories.
- Experience in processing invoices
- Working knowledge of SAP
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Completion of secondary school education. A post-secondary certificate in the related functional area is desirable.
Experience:Three - four years’ experience at equivalent level in a related field.
Language: Fluency in oral and written English and Bangla required.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Good Knowledge of MS-Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Database etc
- A team player with a positive attitude & optimistic approach.
- Problem solving and decision-making skills
- Good at communicating precisely & clearly.
- Ability to maintain an effective working relationship with all contacts both inside and outside the organisation.
- Flexibility & Ability to handle workload.
- Hard working, calm, clear head, logical
General Service (Field): Fluency in both oral and written communication in the UN language in use at the duty station and in the duty station’s language, if different.
4Ps CORE ORGANISATIONAL CAPABILITIES
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Helps teammates articulate WFP’s Strategic Objectives.
- Be a force for positive change: Suggests potential improvements to team’s work processes to supervisor.
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Explains the impact of WFP activities in beneficiary communities to teammates.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Articulates how own unit’s responsibilities will serve WFP’s mission.
- Look for ways to strengthen people's skills: Trains junior teammates on new skills and capabilities.
- Create an inclusive culture: Seeks opportunities to work with people from different backgrounds.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Serves as a peer coach for colleagues in same area of work.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Tracks progress toward goals and shares this information on a regular basis with supervisor.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Explores ways to consistently be more efficient and accurate in own areas of work and shares new methods of work with colleagues.
- Focus on getting results: Focuses on getting results and tracks trends in completion rates for own tasks to identify opportunities for efficiency.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Takes responsibility for own tasks and notifies supervisor as soon as possible of potential delays in meeting deadlines or commitments.
- Be Decisive: Independently decides what action to take when faced with critical choices in the workplace or in dangerous situations in the field.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Suggests opportunities for partnering with other units to supervisor.
- Build strong external partnerships: Identifies opportunities to work with colleagues and partners in the field towards common goals.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Develops an understanding of the value of WFP’s teams and external partners in fulfilling team’s goals and objectives.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Aligns own activities with supervisor’s priorities to fulfill internal and external partner needs.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Contract Type : Service Contract
Contract Duration : 12 months
Duty Station : Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh
Nationality : Bangladeshi only
Monthly Net Salary : BDT. 77,466 net
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
Only candidates meeting the above requirements are requests to submit an online application by 30 June 2018
Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.