WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
To collect, analyse and report on information to maximise efficiency of the logistics operations and activities.
- Monitor the performance of cash-based transfer (CBT) implementation upon the shift from in-kind food distribution, including the timely establishment of new retail outlets and their operations with respect to the established scale-up plan.
- Apply the retailer engagement practices to streamline the process and allow for smooth scale-up and future management of retailer contracts to improve negotiating efficiencies.
- Get involved in and fully support the implementation of the monthly / quarterly price setting mechanism, taking into account local, national and international markets that allow cost-efficient and effective management of retailer contracts.
- Actively engage with the local business community to ensure continuity of service and inclusion of additional actors as required.
Under the overall supervision of Head of Supply Chain and in close collaboration with the Programme unit – CBT, IT, Finance, SCOPE, the officer will work on the overall Sub-Office operational strategy including the e-voucher scale-up plans
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders (Programme, Supply Chain, IT) and external stakeholders (cooperating partners and retail operators) to ensure alignment and timely readiness of the scale up plan of shifting assistance modality from in-kind to cash-based transfers (CBT).
- Follow-up with retailers to ensure all commodities are available at the stores at any given point and are aligned with WFP quality expectations.
- Create a monitoring schedule, conduct quality checks and ensure follow up with retailers to improve overall quality levels of all commodities.
- Support Retail officer in creating and ensuring implementation of retail SOP’s , flow charts etc.
- Closely coordinate with the Retail Supply Chain Team as well as the Food Quality and Safety Unit in HQ to ensure both alignment with corporate guidance, as well as to ensure[SA1] that best practices / lessons learnt are captured.
- Liaise with the right resources within WFP to provide guidance and training on quality & safety of goods and outlets to both internal (WFP) and external (contracted retail operators and cooperating partners) parties
- Regularly assess the existing retail and storage capacities at store level, suggested and implement improvements.
- Communicate to the contracted partners on the scale-up plan allowing them to schedule their construction plans accordingly.
- Monitor the design concurrence and progress of retail outlets construction. Take necessary preventive / corrective actions with respect to the rental agreements. Identify potential obstacles and inform involved parties of any expected delays.
- Coordinate with Supply Chain (Logistics / Procurement / Engineering), Programme, SCOPE and administrative units on the purchase of storage facility (containers) and sales register (mPOS), their deliveries and installation at the retail outlets.
- Support and get involved with providing training and guidance to retail operators on standard retail operating procedures, reporting requirements as well as measurement of KPI’s.
- Assist in the finalization of retail service contracts and preparation of the future RFP (request for proposal) as required.
- Lead the wholesale and retail price collecting mechanism, analyse prices and lead price negotiations with retailers.
- Support team in creating / enhancing the current price negotiation process.
- Analyse current retail contracts and be open to suggest renegotiations as and when needed to enhance efficiencies. Review historical pricing data to identify patterns (seasonal, special occasions, etc.)
- Monitor the availability of goods in the market in order to anticipate shortages / over supply allowing adjustments on WFP response modality (shift between in-kind food distribution and cash-based transfer)
- Work with Retail Officer and with the support of the Retail Supply Chain team in Rome, adjust dashboards of relevant information deriving from SCOPE the monthly itemized sales data to optimize the operations.
- Perform other relevant duties as required.
4Ps CORE ORGANISATIONAL CAPABILITIES
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Understands WFP’s Strategic Objectives and the link to own work objectives.
- Be a force for positive change: Flexibly adapts individual contributions to accommodate changes in direction from supervisors and internal/external changes (such as evolving needs of beneficiaries, new requirements of partners).
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Recognizes and shares with team members the ways in which individual contributions relate to WFP’s mission.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Sets own goals in alignment with WFP’s overall operations, and is able to communicate this link to others.
- Look for ways to strengthen people's skills: Assesses own strengths and weaknesses to increase self-awareness, and includes these in conversations on own developmental needs.
- Create an inclusive culture: Participates in open dialogue, and values the diverse opinion of others, regardless of background, culture, experience, or country assignment.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Proactively seeks feedback and coaching to build confidence, and develop and improve individual skills.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Participates in accomplishing team activities and goals in the face of challenging circumstances.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Shows willingness to explore and experiment with new ideas and approaches in own work.
- Focus on getting results: Consistently delivers results within individual scope of work on time, on budget and without errors.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Commits to upholding individual accountabilities and responsibilities in the face of ever-changing country or functional priorities.
- Be Decisive: Makes rational decisions about individual activities when faced with uncertain circumstances, including in times of ambiguity regarding information or manager direction.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Seeks to understand and adapt to internal or cross-unit teams’ priorities and preferred working styles.
- Build strong external partnerships: Demonstrates ability to understand and appropriately respond to and/or escalate needs of external partners.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Portrays an informed and professional demeanor toward internal and external partners and stakeholders.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Provides operational support on analyses and assessments that quantifies and demonstrates WFP’s unique value as a partner.
||Description of the behaviour expected for the proficiency level
Supply Chain Management and Optimization
|Demonstrates ability to design basic supply chain networks, including appropriately assessing and escalating challenges to ensure that WFP is able to provide consistent and uninterrupted service to its beneficiaries and partners.
|Planning, Project & Resource Management
||Collects and analyses relevant technical data from diverse sources to forecast operational needs under various scenarios and makes evidence-based proposals.
|Information Management & Reporting
||Liaises with internal and external stakeholders to consolidate preliminary data analysis, draft reports and disseminate information that represents concerns and trends.
|Market Analysis, Contracting and Operational Execution
||Demonstrates ability to collect market information and process and analyse proposals in line with WFP standard rules and regulations in order to deliver efficiently.
|Warehouse and Inventory Management
||Demonstrates ability to implement operational warehouse procedures and normative guidance in order to manage WFP’s warehouse, handle inventory effectively through corporate systems, and ensure loss mitigation.
|Technical Assistance and Coordination
||Demonstrates abilities to provide basic technical advice and maintain effective (inclusive, collaborative, unified) logistics coordination mechanisms with humanitarian partners and other relevant stakeholders.
OTHER SPECIFIC JOB REQUIREMENTS
Understanding of retail operations, retail flows and SOP’s, replenishment methods, retail (sales or storage) related calculation. A go getter with a can-do attitude who can work with people from multiple ethnic and cultural backgrounds.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: University degree in Economics, Logistics, Supply Chain, Commerce, Business Administration, legal or accounting or other relevant fields.
Language: Fluency in oral and written English and Bangla required.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Good negotiations skills
- Creative, analytical, problem solving and decision-making skills
- Communicating, influencing and training skills.
- Ability to maintain an effective working relationship with all contacts both inside and outside the organisation.
- Hard working, calm, clear head, logical
- Consultancy sensitive
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
Minimum 7-10 years of retail / wholesale experience, managing / understanding of retail store operations, storage, replenishment, process improvements, cost calculations, other store related activities.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Contract Type : Service Contract
Contract Duration : 12 months
Duty Station : Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh
Nationality : Bangladeshi only
Monthly Net Salary : BDT. 188,945 net
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
Only candidates meeting the above requirements are requested to submit an online application by 28th May 2018.
Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.