Friday 5 January 2018 - Thursday 18th January 2018
Qualified female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status
WFP does not charge any fees from applicants at any stage in the recruitment process
Warehouse Management Associate SC6
The UN World Food Programme (WFP) is the United Nations frontline agency against world hunger. It is the largest and longest serving humanitarian agency in Uganda. Currently WFP focuses on three priority areas: Saving lives in Emergencies; Building Resilience through Predicatable Safety Nets; Improving Nutrition & Mother-and Child Health; and Supporting Small Holder Farmers to Access Markets. WFP has operations in various parts of the Country. WFP cherishes and takes pride in fostering a working environment of high capacity, diversity and innovation. We are currently seeking experienced and creative applicants for the position of Warehouse Management Associate to join our team.
This job is found in Country Office (Field Office). The Job holder reports to the Head of Field Office or the designate.
At this level, the job holder demonstrates responsibility and initiative to respond independently to queries with only general guidance for all assistance modalities for both WFP and logistics common services. There is a requirement to use judgment in dealing with unforeseen problems on a daily basis.
To manage a range of warehouse activities including safeguarding of commodities and supplies, and ensuring well-organized warehousing and storage service in compliance with WFP warehouse guidelines
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
1. Responsible for the effective planning and management of warehouse operations, to ensure safe and efficient warehousing and storage of all commodities and supplies.
2. Contribute to review of WFP corporate warehouse standards and procedures, to support efficiency and changing business needs.
3. Coordinate the receipt/dispatch of commodities, to ensure accurate recording, accounting and reporting is available at all times to support decision-making.
4. Responsible for the accuracy of warehouse transaction records including identification of discrepancies, to ensure immediate and accurate reporting on commodity movements in line with the corporate requirements.
5. Responsible for inventory management (e.g. physical stock verification, reporting, etc.), to ensure any existing and developing issues with regards to proper stocks management are timely addressed and WFP standard procedures for commodity handling and storage are strictly followed.
6. Supervise preparation and/or prepare regular and ad hoc reports and statistics on warehouse operations, to support informed planning and decision-making.
7. Oversee safeguarding of commodities through providing guidance on and taking initiative towards implementation of preventive measures, to ensure that commodities are preserved in good condition and that quality control actions are initiated as appropriate following WFP established procedures.
8. Review on periodic basis warehouse space availability, plan and implement new design layouts to support business needs and ensure cost-efficiency.
9. Work in collaboration with internal and external stakeholders, in order to deliver aligned and coherent warehouse services.
10. Identify training needs and efficiently plan trainings, to ensure that all staff have required knowledge and skills to carry out their responsibilities.
11. Supervise warehouse staff, to ensure high performance standards.
4Ps CORE ORGANISATIONAL CAPABILITIES
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Coaches team in the most effective ways to communicate WFP’s Strategic Objectives to WFP team and partners in the field.
- Be a force for positive change: Implements new methods or tools to improve team’s work processes and productivity.
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Maps team’s activities and tasks to specific successes in beneficiary communities to showcase positive impact.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Explains to teammates how each unit contributes to the overall WFP mission.
- Look for ways to strengthen people's skills: Identifies skill development opportunities such as training modules or on-the-job experiences for self, colleagues and direct reports.
- Create an inclusive culture: Facilitates team building activities to build rapport in own unit.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Facilitates the pairing of junior colleagues with coaches within own team.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Proactively anticipates potential challenges and develops mitigation plans to ensure that team meets goals and targets.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Identifies opportunities to be creative in own work and to help team be more innovative and accurate in their respective tasks and areas of work.
- Focus on getting results: Monitors team’s deliverables and provides feedback to ensure outcomes are delivered consistently and accurately.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Provides accurate guidance to team on expected responsibilities and tasks, whilst also upholding own commitment to the team.
- Be Decisive: Sets an example and provides guidance to junior team members on when to escalate issues when faced with challenging issues in the workplace or in the field.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Facilitates partnerships with other WFP units to accomplish missions in the field.
- Build strong external partnerships: Sets an example and provides guidance to team on how to build relationships with external partners.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Articulates to colleagues or direct reports the value of contributing to other WFP teams and agency partnerships in fulfilling WFP’s goals and objectives.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Organizes, monitors, and prioritizes own and team’s efforts to ensure that they will fulfill the needs of internal and external partners.
Description of the behaviour expected for the proficiency level
Supply Chain Management and Optimization
Demonstrates ability to design basic supply chain networks, including appropriately assessing and escalating challenges to ensure that WFP is able to provide consistent and uninterrupted service to its beneficiaries and partners.
Planning, Project & Resource Mgmt
Collects and analyses relevant technical data from diverse sources to forecast operational needs under various scenarios and makes evidence-based proposals.
Information Management & Reporting
Liaises with internal and external stakeholders to consolidate preliminary data analysis, draft reports and disseminate information that represents concerns and trends.
Market Analysis, Contracting and Operational Execution
Demonstrates ability to collect market information and process and analyse proposals in line with WFP standard rules and regulations in order to deliver efficiently.
Warehouse and Inventory Management
Demonstrates ability to implement operational warehouse procedures and normative guidance in order to manage WFP’s warehouse, handle inventory effectively through corporate systems, and ensure loss mitigation.
Technical Assistance and Coordination
Demonstrates abilities to provide basic technical advice and maintain effective (inclusive, collaborative, unified) logistics coordination mechanisms with humanitarian partners and other relevant stakeholders.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: University degree in Business administration, engineering, computer science, statistics or economics (preferably transport economics), or equivalent professional experience or extensive relevant logistics experience.
Language: Fluency in both oral and written English
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
• Experience maintaining a logistics database and running queries on ongoing shipments, pipeline information, insurance claims, and food stock.
• Experience in administering third party service providers’ contracts.
• Experience in compiling contract documentation.
• Experience in contract execution.
• Experience in budget monitoring and reporting.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
Thursday 18th January 2018