WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Completion of secondary school education. A post-secondary certificate in the related functional area (Warehouse Management, Logistics and Storekeeping) is desirable.
Language: Fluency (level C) in the UN language in use at the duty station and in the duty station’s language, if different.
These jobs are found in WFP warehouses. Job holders report to the Warehouse Management Assistant/Associate or the designate. Job holders are exposed to all phases of the warehouse operations and work with minimum supervision. They may provide supervision and on-the-job training to other warehouse staff.
To handle receipt/dispatch and verification of commodities in order to maximise quality of warehouse operations and mitigate losses, and to support the best storage management practices in compliance with WFP warehouse standards and established guidelines.
4Ps CORE ORGANISATIONAL CAPABILITIES
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Helps teammates articulate WFP’s Strategic Objectives.
- Be a force for positive change: Suggests potential improvements to team’s work processes to supervisor.
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Explains the impact of WFP activities in beneficiary communities to teammates.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Articulates how own unit’s responsibilities will serve WFP’s mission.
- Look for ways to strengthen people's skills: Trains junior teammates on new skills and capabilities.
- Create an inclusive culture: Seeks opportunities to work with people from different backgrounds.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Serves as a peer coach for colleagues in same area of work.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Tracks progress toward goals and shares this information on a regular basis with supervisor.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Explores ways to consistently be more efficient and accurate in own areas of work and shares new methods of work with colleagues.
- Focus on getting results: Focuses on getting results and tracks trends in completion rates for own tasks to identify opportunities for efficiency.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Takes responsibility for own tasks and notifies supervisor as soon as possible of potential delays in meeting deadlines or commitments.
- Be Decisive: Independently decides what action to take when faced with critical choices in the workplace or in dangerous situations in the field.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Suggests opportunities for partnering with other units to supervisor.
- Build strong external partnerships: Identifies opportunities to work with colleagues and partners in the field towards common goals.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Develops an understanding of the value of WFP’s teams and external partners in fulfilling team’s goals and objectives.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Aligns own activities with supervisor’s priorities to fulfill internal and external partner needs.
||Description of the behaviour expected for the proficiency level
|Supply Chain Management and Optimization
||Displays aptitude at monitoring and reporting on supply chain operations to enable teams to efficiently assess the performance and sustainability of current networks.
|Planning, Project & Resource Management
||Supports the planning, forecasting & resource management efforts of own team by collecting data from diverse sources.
|Information Management & Reporting
||Collates accurate and timely information and data to enable informed decision making on reporting within individual unit and consequently the greater humanitarian community.
|Market Analysis, Contracting and Operational Execution
||Ability to collect and collate necessary information to enable WFP to make informed operational decisions.
|Warehouse and Inventory Management
||Demonstrates ability to implement operational warehouse procedures and normative guidance in order to manage WFP’s warehouse, handle inventory effectively through corporate systems, and ensure loss mitigation.
|Technical Assistance and Coordination
||Demonstrates awareness of the importance of technical assistance and coordination with key stakeholders and an ability to carry out logistics activities, respecting individual mandates and programme priorities.
OTHER SPECIFIC JOB REQUIREMENTS
Minimum of 3 years relevant experience in warehousing / storekeeping and / or inventory management.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Attending receipt of all WFP food and non-food commodities in both WFP or third party run warehouses; observes and report the quantity and condition of arrivals; supervises good stacking and efficient storage of the commodities as per earlier planning received by warehouse management; reports any deviation in quantity and quality on the receipt documents; requests and ensures timely reconditioning of damaged commodities, by filling out the requested forms; ensures update of the stack cards; adheres to the requested random checking, sampling, weighing of the commodities; prepares or checks the loading orders, out bound delivery (OBD's) and other documentation accompanying cargo movement; prepares and submits timely reports as per schedule approved by warehouse management;
- Maintains clean and pest-free storing conditions and ensure good warehousing practices are adhered to always; initiates and completes the procedure for fumigation, spraying, disposal and write off for the damaged commodities, as per the guidance of Transport Manual and warehouse management; be always in frontline of new developments as regards to the cold storage, nutritious commodities, supply chain initiatives and service provision to third parties;
- Captures/ensures transactions of food movements in The Logistics Execution Support System (LESS) real time; develops key performance indicators (KPI's ) which ensure 100% of the transaction are registered in system by the end of 2018;
- Supervises service providers at the warehouse while tallying, handling, fumigation and other services and ensures that they are rendered in full respect of the contract between WFP and service providers.
- Participates in vessel discharge operations performing tasks such as controlling truck movements within the Port, capturing data in The Logistics Execution Support System (LESS), coordinating other service providers involved in the operation, performing reconciliations and issuing updates and reports.
- Supervise and assist the junior staff in the warehouse to perform their assigned duties; train and coach them;
- Ensure continuous and efficient coordination with Transport/Shipping section for enabling timely preparation for receipts and dispatches; maintain records of container arrivals to ensure return to shipping line within allocated time and in good condition;
- Perform assigned duties with regard to service in port, or when shipments to Somalia are concerned;
- Manage Global Commodity Management Facility (GCMF) stocks as per Global Commodity Management Facility (GCMF) guidelines to ensure effective and efficient utilization of resources.
- Supervises the activity of contractors and maintains regular record of their performance, throughout the contract period;
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
• Experience using logistics databases to extract routine reports.
• Experience in managing warehouses with food and NFIs.
• Experience in managing inventories.
• Experience in processing invoices.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- Qualified female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.
- For any queries write to Nairobi.email@example.com
- WFP is an equal opportunity employer and does not charge any fees during the recruitment process. Only short-listed applicants will be contacted
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
Deadline for application 17th June 2019
Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.