Career Opportunities: IT Solutions Developer P3 - Technical Lead (105545)
Requisition # 105545 - Posted 18/07/2019 - Fixed Term - Europe, Western - Italy - Rome - Working Job Language (1) - INFORMATION TECHNOLOGIES
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
Technology and connectivity are rapidly reaching some of the most vulnerable people and places affected by crisis, but they are also increasingly expanding to the services responding to those same crises. As one of the main humanitarian actors, WFP has the opportunity and the obligation to leverage data and technology to better know and serve those in need by digitally transforming the way it works. Such ambition led to a plan aimed at establishing, integrating, and mainstreaming – in the next two years – the core elements of an end-to-end digital business process.
The objective is to support the Executive Director’s digital strategy to ensure that all WFP assistance is digitized and that these business services will also be offered to partners and governments.
SCOPE (see the video for further information: https://tiny.cc/wfpscope) is WFP’s beneficiary and transfer management platform that supports the WFP programme intervention cycle from beginning to end. The SCOPE platform is a web-based application used for beneficiary registrations, intervention setups, distribution planning, transfers and distribution reporting. SCOPE currently supports all WFP transfer modalities: in kind, voucher and cash for a variety of project activities. Additional, large size functionalities are still being developed and global rollout is taking place.
The incumbent will report to the Head of Product Development, within the Technology division - Beneficiary Services branch (TECB) and will be required to collaborate with architecture, operations, developers, project managers and business analysts to ensure the successful design, development and release of SCOPE.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Design, oversee development and deliver software for all of the SCOPE components, including but not limited to the SCOPE web application, POS infrastructure, POS devices and applications and the Mobile Registration application.
- Assign development tasks to developers, manage the work of junior and senior developers. Facilitate problem solving for developers in the team and act as a role model for other developers, both junior and seniors by consistently developing solid features and by sharing knowledge of how to develop in a Scrum process in large enterprise environment.
- Perform code reviews and optimize the code for best performance in the field, internet security, and scalability. Ensure code robustness.
- Collaborates with senior software developers on design decisions and direction for application requirements and consults with project lead on identification of problems and suggest solutions for the resolution of coding issues.
- Provides recommendations for functional and technical issues to Product Owner.
- Provide expert technical advice to system analysts and developers, helping them troubleshoot complex issues.
- Ensures technical documentation is available and up to date.
- Ensure that best practices are applied for system design, scalability, performance, and security.
- Participate in requirement gathering process, propose solution, and create design documents.
- Increase team efficiency through identification and optimization of key activities .
- Responsible for implementing evidence-based scheduling, in order to improve the software development team’s capability to provide estimates of when functionality can be released. Includes being the daily control mechanism to ensure that proper time estimation techniques are being used.
- Supporting and educating the Product Owner, especially with respect to grooming and maintaining the product backlog.
- Discuss/review proposed technical architectures with internal stakeholders (infrastructure, architecture, security) and with external business partners or vendors.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Advanced University degree in business management, computer science, telecommunications engineering or social sciences, or first university degree with additional years of related work experience or trainings/course.
- Five years or more of post-graduate progressively responsible professional experience in software development including systems analysis, design and development.
- Strong experience on solutions that require offline capabilities with expertise in synchronization techniques for scenarios that are challenged with connectivity issues.
- Previous experience as a team lead with people management.
- Experience with developing in technologies such as Java, Python/Django framework, HTML5, Angular.
- Experience in client-facing roles in either technology implementation projects or in the planning, design and implementation of humanitarian and development programmes.
- Experience in collaborating with different humanitarian actors or different service providers to design payment solutions and instruments.
- At least five years of Project Management;
- At least five years experience in technology and service provisioning and support;
Knowledge & Skills:
- Extensive knowledge on smartcard technology including NFC, and security mechanisms such as PKI, SAMs.
- Working knowledge and experience with android mobile application development using Java and Kotlin for B2B applications.
- Working knowledge and experience of implementing Point of Service (Sale) solutions using B2B applications especially within the humanitarian sector and in scenarios of poor connectivity.
- Working knowledge with NXP products, specifically Mifare products.
- Sound knowledge and/or experience with widely successful Agile techniques: Continuous Integration, Continuous Testing, Automated Testing.
- System Administration experience involving CI (Jenkins) and Docker, Unix/Linux administration.
- Knowledge of open loop payment solutions, using EMV.
- Working knowledge of biometrics technology, and integration of various sensors with mobile applications.
- Object-oriented design, including Design Patterns and Best Practices.
- Web Services development experience, REST API.
- Experience of agile development processes such as SCRUM.
- SQL RDBMS (Oracle, PostgreSQL, SQL Server).
- Being responsible for setting up and maintaining continuous integration to optimize the release cycle without losing quality.
- Ability to solve complex problems independently and gather expert advice as needed.
International Professional: Fluency (level C) in English language. Intermediate knowledge (level B) of a second official UN language: Arabic, Chinese, French,Russian, Spanish, and/or WFP’s working language, Portuguese.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
The selected candidate will be employed on a fixed-term contract with a probationary period of one year. He/she will be required to travel abroad sometime to remote and difficult locations.
WFP offers an attractive compensation and benefits package, including basic salary, post adjustment, relocation entitlement, travel and shipment allowances, 30 days’ annual leave, home leave, an education grant for dependent children, pension plan and medical insurance. For more details please visit icsc.un.org
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.