WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
These jobs are found in Country Offices (COs), Regional Bureaux (RBs), and Headquarters (HQ). Job holders may either perform administrative support functions in the front office and report to the Business Support Associate, or provide administrative support to team(s) with the reporting line to the relevant Head of Unit, Chief, or the designate. In cases where these positions support a specific business stream, the reporting line may be to the relevant Head of Unit, Chief, or the designate.
At this level, work is carried out under minimal supervision. Job holders are expected to produce organised and accurate work, undertaking specific business support activities. They may offer guidance on standard practices to more junior staff in their area of work.
To support effective delivery and maintenance of client-focused, value-for-money oriented quality Administration practices.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Welcomes visitors by greeting them, in person or on the telephone; answering or referring inquiries.
- Directs visitors by maintaining employee and department directories giving instructions.
- Maintains security by following procedures; monitoring logbook; issuing visitor badges.
- Maintains safe and clean reception area by complying with procedures, rules, and regulations. Maintains continuity among work teams by documenting and communicating actions, irregularities, and continuing needs.
- Operate telephone switchboards and systems to advance and complete connections, including those for local, long distance and emergency calls;
- Answers incoming calls and Directs call to staff, or departments through the switchboard or PBX system;
- Set up conference calls in different locations and time zones;
- Sorts, delivers and picks up mails from IDB main reception at regular intervals;
- Docking and record all mails in excel sheet (day –wise) and dispatch/ distribute to the concerned staff members and Unit/ Section. Receive outgoing mails from different section/units and record in excel sheet (day-wise) and handover to the local and overseas courier service providers;
- Record all outgoing mails in peon books and handover to the transport pool for hand delivery;
- Check and collect documents from WFP GPO Box number (located at General Post Office in Ramna, Dhaka) and dispatch to the concerned staff and section/unit;
- Check and reconcile the invoices local and overseas courier service providers and certify for payment;
- Performing day-to-day administrative tasks such as maintaining information files and processing paperwork;
- Any other duties assigned by WFP authority.
4Ps CORE ORGANISATIONAL CAPABILITIES
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Helps teammates articulate WFP’s Strategic Objectives.
- Be a force for positive change: Suggests potential improvements to team’s work processes to supervisor.
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Explains the impact of WFP activities in beneficiary communities to teammates.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Articulates how own unit’s responsibilities will serve WFP’s mission.
- Look for ways to strengthen people's skills: Trains junior teammates on new skills and capabilities.
- Create an inclusive culture: Seeks opportunities to work with people from different backgrounds.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Serves as a peer coach for colleagues in same area of work.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Tracks progress toward goals and shares this information on a regular basis with supervisor.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Explores ways to consistently be more efficient and accurate in own areas of work and shares new methods of work with colleagues.
- Focus on getting results: Focuses on getting results and tracks trends in completion rates for own tasks to identify opportunities for efficiency.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Takes responsibility for own tasks and notifies supervisor as soon as possible of potential delays in meeting deadlines or commitments.
- Be Decisive: Independently decides what action to take when faced with critical choices in the workplace or in dangerous situations in the field.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Suggests opportunities for partnering with other units to supervisor.
- Build strong external partnerships: Identifies opportunities to work with colleagues and partners in the field towards common goals.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Develops an understanding of the value of WFP’s teams and external partners in fulfilling team’s goals and objectives.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Aligns own activities with supervisor’s priorities to fulfill internal and external partner needs.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Higher secondary school education with training in Administration and Reception as minimum preferably bachelor’s degree in Public Administration, Business Administration or any related field.
Experience: A minimum Four (04) of progressively responsible work experience including at least two years in reception and Administration management related field.
Languages: Fluency in both oral and written communication in English and Bangla.
Knowledge & Skills:
• Proficient in the use of office equipment and computer software packages, such as Microsoft Word.
• Knowledge of work routines and methods in order to complete processes under minimal supervision.
• Uses tact and courtesy to give and receive information to a wide range of individuals.
• Ability to identify data discrepancies and rectify problems requiring attention.
• Ability to offer guidance or basic on-the-job training to more junior staff.
Language: General Service (Headquarters): Fluency (level C) in English language. Fluency (level C) or intermediate knowledge (level B) of another official language may be required depending on the location of the post or area of responsibility.
OTHER SPECIFIC JOB REQUIREMENTS
Training and/or experience utilizing PABX, computer, including word processing, spreadsheet and other WFP standard software packages and systems. General knowledge of UN system administrative policies, rules, regulations and procedures in the area of administration.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Contract Type and Level : Service Contract SC4
Contract Duration : 12 months
Duty Station : Dhaka, Bangladesh
Nationality : Bangladeshi only
Monthly Net Salary : BDT. 77,466
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
Only candidates meeting the above requirements are requested to submit an online application by 20 December 2018.
Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.